|Governor of Bangladesh Bank|
|Assumed office |
15 March 2016
|Preceded by||Atiur Rahman|
|Born||4 July 1955|
Dhaka, East Bengal, Dominion of Pakistan
|Spouse(s)||Mahmuda Sharmin Benu|
|Alma mater||Faujdarhat Cadet College, University of Chittagong|
Fazle Kabir (born 4 July 1955) is a Bangladeshi bureaucrat, economist and central banker. He is the 11th Governor of Bangladesh Bank, the central bank of Bangladesh. Prior to this position, he served as the Finance Secretary to the government and chairman of the state-owned Sonali Bank. He also served as a director of another state-owned Janata Bank.
Kabir was born on 4 July 1955 in Dhaka of the then East Bengal (now Bangladesh). He completed his secondary and higher secondary education at Faujdarhat Cadet College. He obtained his bachelor's and master's degrees in Economics from University of Chittagong.
Kabir started his career in 1980 with Bangladesh Railway as an assistant traffic superintendent. In 1983, he joined the BCS Administration cadre aka Bangladesh Administrative Service. During his 34 years of civil service, Kabir held various key positions in different ministries and also in the field administration. He served as the Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate of Kishoreganj district, Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Director General of the National Academy for Planning and Development, Director General of the BCS Administration Academy, Secretary Ministry of Railways. He was appointed as a senior secretary to the ministry of finance in 2012. Kabir was made the chairman of Sonali Bank, after it was hit by several financial scams, including that involving Hall-Mark Group.
On 15 March 2016 the then governor Atiur Rahman resigned from his post amid the Bangladesh Bank money laundering case. He submitted his resignation letter to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and within two hours Kabir was selected the new four-year term governor of Bangladesh Bank. He joined as the 11th Governor of Bangladesh Bank on 20 March 2016. The government on 15 July, 2020 on Wednesday appointed Fazle Kabir governor of the Bangladesh Bank again for two years until he becomes 67 under the amended Bangladesh Bank Act.
- "Ex-secretary Fazle Kabir appointed Bangladesh Bank governor for 4 years". bdnews24.com. March 16, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Governors of BB". Bangladesh Bank. Retrieved May 22, 2019.
- "Governor". Bangladesh Bank. Retrieved June 5, 2019.
- "Fazle Kabir to be made new BB governor: Muhith". The Daily Star. March 15, 2016. Retrieved March 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Mr. Fazle Kabir Governor". Bangladesh Bank. Retrieved 14 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Former finance secretary Fazle Kabir to head Bangladesh Bank, says Minister Muhith". bdnews24.com. March 15, 2016. Retrieved March 15, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "$101m heist: Atiur quits as governor of Bangladesh Bank". The Daily Star. March 15, 2016. Retrieved March 16, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Govt reappoints Fazle Kabir as Bangladesh Bank governor". The Daily Star. 2020-07-15. Retrieved 2020-07-16.