Fearless (Pink Floyd song)
|Single by Pink Floyd|
|from the album Meddle|
|A-side||"One of These Days"|
|Released||29 November 1971|
|Pink Floyd singles chronology|
The song's slow tempo and mellow acoustic sound bear similarities to some of the other tracks on the first side of the album. David Gilmour and Roger Waters composed the song on guitar using an open tuning in G major taught to Waters by former member Syd Barrett.
Near the beginning and at the end of the song, a field recording of fans in Liverpool's Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" is superimposed over the music. This Rodgers and Hammerstein song became the anthem of Liverpool F.C. after Gerry & the Pacemakers had a number-one hit with their recording.
Although it was not released as a single in the UK and only played live by the band once, it was released as the "B-side" of the single "One of These Days" in 1971.
- David Gilmour – acoustic and electric guitars, vocals
- Roger Waters – bass guitar
- Richard Wright – piano
- Nick Mason – drums and percussion
- Liverpool F.C. Fans Kop – chanting "You'll Never Walk Alone"
- Fish, Songs from the Mirror (covers album, 1993)
- Gerald Collier, Gerald Collier (1998)
- Tom Freund, A Fair Forgery of Pink Floyd (tribute album, 2003)
- Low, A Lifetime of Temporary Relief: 10 Years of B-Sides and Rarities (2004)
- The String Cheese Incident, Live at Asheville (2004)
- The Ohsees, OCS 2 (2004)
- Mary Lou Lord, Baby Blue (2004)
- Shadow Gallery, Room V (2005), as part of the Pink Floyd medley "Floydian Memories"
- Ambulance LTD, New English EP (2006)
- Marco Benevento, Live at Tonic (2007)
- Tizrel Bodegus, Live at the Savoy (2007)
- Gov't Mule, Dark Side Of The Mule (2014), first played at Boston’s Orpheum Theatre on Halloween 2008, 31 October 2008, during their Mule-O-Ween Pink Floyd Set
- Umphrey's McGee, covered at numerous live shows
- The Atlas Moth, One Amongst the Weed Fields (covers EP, 2010)
- The Black Crowes, covered at numerous live shows
- Glenn Povey (2007). Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd. Mind Head Publishing. p. 344. ISBN 978-0-9554624-0-5.
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Guthrie, James. "James Guthrie: Audio: Building A Compilation Album". Pink Floyd. Archived from the original on 2 June 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- The Amazing Pudding archive, The Pink Floyd Fan Club.
- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floyd/1971/carnegie-hall-new-york-ny-2bd778de.html Set list detailing the performance of "Fearless"
- DeRiso, Nick (May 30, 2015). "Gov't Mule, 'Dark Side of the Mule' - Album Review". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved September 20, 2015.