Fearless (Pink Floyd song)
|Single by Pink Floyd|
|from the album Meddle|
|A-side||"One of These Days"|
|Released||29 November 1971|
|Studio||AIR, Abbey Road, Morgan studios in London|
|Pink Floyd singles chronology|
The song's slow tempo and mellow acoustic sound bear similarities to some of the other tracks on the first side of the album. David Gilmour and Roger Waters composed the song on guitar using an open tuning in G major taught to Waters by former member Syd Barrett.
Near the beginning and at the end of the song, a field recording of fans in Liverpool's Kop singing "You'll Never Walk Alone" is superimposed over the music. This Rodgers and Hammerstein song became the anthem of Liverpool F.C. after Gerry & the Pacemakers had a number one hit with their recording.
Although it was not released as a single in the UK and only played live by the band once, it was released as the "B-side" of the single "One of These Days" in 1971. Roger Waters briefly resurrected the song for a small number of shows in 2016.
In a review for the Meddle album, Jean-Charles Costa of Rolling Stone described "Fearless" as "a clever spoof" that "leads up to a classic crowd rendition of Rodger's & Hammerstein's "You'll Never Walk Alone." Classic Rock Review described "Fearless" as "the best overall song on the album and talks about meeting challenges in the face of adversity." They went on saying "Fearless" is "highlighted by Gilmour’s calm yet strong guitar strumming and the odd beat from drummer Nick Mason."
- David Gilmour – acoustic and electric guitars, vocals
- Roger Waters – bass guitar
- Richard Wright – piano
- Nick Mason – drums and percussion
- Liverpool F.C. Fans Kop – chanting "You'll Never Walk Alone"
In popular culture
- Glenn Povey (2007). Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd. Mind Head Publishing. p. 344. ISBN 978-0-9554624-0-5.
- Strong, Martin C. (2004). The Great Rock Discography (7th ed.). Edinburgh: Canongate Books. p. 1177. ISBN 1-84195-551-5.
- Mabbett, Andy (1995). The Complete Guide to the Music of Pink Floyd. London: Omnibus Press. ISBN 0-7119-4301-X.
- Guthrie, James. "James Guthrie: Audio: Building A Compilation Album". Pink Floyd. Archived from the original on 2 June 2010. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- The Amazing Pudding archive, The Pink Floyd Fan Club.
- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pink-floyd/1971/carnegie-hall-new-york-ny-2bd778de.html Set list detailing the performance of "Fearless"
- http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/roger-waters/2016/empire-polo-grounds-indio-ca-33fd64c9.html Set list detailing a 2016 performance of "Fearless"
- Costa, Jean-Charles (6 January 1972). "Meddle". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- "Meddle by Pink Floyd | Classic Rock Review". 27 January 2011. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- "Side Orders, by Circe Link". Circe Link. Retrieved 25 July 2017.