February 9 Killer
|February 9 Killer|
|Other names||Feb. 9 Killer, February 9th Killer|
Span of crimes
|February 9, 2006–February 9, 2008|
The February 9 Killer is an unidentified suspected serial killer believed to be responsible for the 2006 murder of Sonia Mejia and her unborn baby and the 2008 murder of Damiana Castillo in Salt Lake County, Utah. The murders were committed on the same day, February 9, hence the name.
In 2009, the unsolved murders of Sonia Mejia in Taylorsville and Damiana Castillo in West Valley City were linked through DNA analysis. The corresponding police departments concurrently released a description of the perpetrator as a Hispanic male in his late teens or early 20s. A twenty-man task force was then formed.
- Sonia Mejia, aged 29, was raped and strangled in her apartment in Taylorsville.
- Sonia Mejia's unborn baby, between five and six months gestation.
- Damiana Castillo, aged 57, was strangled in her apartment in West Valley City.
- "Police Task Force still searching for elusive February 9th Killer" Fox13Now, 6 February 2010 Archived July 23, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Police searching for Feb. 9 serial killer" Fox13Now, 5 February 2011 Archived February 9, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Police seek help in Feb. 9 killer" Fox13Now Archived July 23, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Hanna, Jason (9 February 2009). "Utah cities on alert as anniversary of 2 slayings hits". CNN Justice.
- "UNSOLVED CASES: Who killed Sonia Mejia?". abc4.com. 25 October 2010.