Federal Airport Act of 1946
|Long title||An Act to provide Federal aid for the development of public airports.|
|Nicknames||Federal Aid Airport Act of 1946|
|Enacted by||the 79th United States Congress|
|Effective||May 13, 1946|
|Statutes at Large||60 Stat. 170|
|Titles amended||49 U.S.C.: Transportation|
|U.S.C. sections created||49 U.S.C. ch. 471, subch. I §§ 1101-1120|
Federal Airport Act of 1946 is United States statute establishing a federal program for the development of civil aviation airports within the continental United States. The Act of Congress authorized federal grants to progressively evolve civil aviation bases. The public law mandates a national airport plan encompassing airport classifications as defined by the Civil Aeronautics Administration.
Provisions of the Act
The government financed air transportation law was drafted as nineteen sections commissioning a national construction and development plan for domestic airports throughout the United States.
|49 U.S.C. § 1101 ~||Short Title|
|49 U.S.C. § 1101 ~||Provisions of General Application|
|49 U.S.C. § 1102 ~||National Airport Plan|
Formulation of Plan
Consultation with War and Navy Departments
|49 U.S.C. § 1103 ~||Federal-Aid Airport Program|
|49 U.S.C. § 1104 ~||Appropriations|
Appropriation for Preliminary Expenses
Annual Appropriations for Projects in States
Annual Appropriations for Projects in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico
|49 U.S.C. § 1105 ~||Distribution of Funds Available for Projects in States|
Apportionment of Funds
|49 U.S.C. § 1106 ~||Availability of Funds for Projects in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico|
|49 U.S.C. § 1107 ~||Condition Precedent to Development of Larger Airports|
Projects Authority Request for Class 4 or Larger Airports
|49 U.S.C. § 1107a ~||Determination of Projects for Larger Airports|
|49 U.S.C. § 1108 ~||Submission and Approval of Projects|
Applications by Public Agencies Whose Powers are Limited by State Law
Applications by Federal Agencies
|49 U.S.C. § 1109 ~||United States Share of Project Costs|
Projects in Public Land States
Projects in Alaska
Acquisitions of Land and Interests in Air Space
|49 U.S.C. § 1110 ~||Project Sponsorship|
|49 U.S.C. § 1111 ~||Grant Agreements|
|49 U.S.C. § 1112 ~||Allowable Project Costs|
|49 U.S.C. § 1113 ~||Payments|
|49 U.S.C. § 1114 ~||Performance of Construction Work|
Regulations of the Administrator
Minimum Rates of Wages
Other Provisions as to Labor
|49 U.S.C. § 1115 ~||Use of Government-Owned Lands|
Requests for Use
Making of Conveyances
|49 U.S.C. § 1116 ~||Reimbursement for Damage by Federal Agencies to Public Airports|
Submission and Determination of Claims
Certification of Claims to Congress
Limitation on Submission of Claims
|49 U.S.C. § 1117 ~||Reports to Congress|
|49 U.S.C. § 1118 ~||False Statements|
|49 U.S.C. § 1119 ~||Existing Airport Programs|
Amendments to 1946 Act
U.S. Congressional amendments to the Federal Airport Act.
|Date of Enactment||Public Law Number||U.S. Statute Citation||U.S. Legislative Bill||U.S. Presidential Administration|
|April 17, 1948||P.L. 80-486||62 Stat. 173||S. 2081||Harry S. Truman|
|June 29, 1948||P.L. 80-840||62 Stat. 1111||H.R. 6860||Harry S. Truman|
|July 25, 1949||P.L. 81-183||63 Stat. 478||S. 1280||Harry S. Truman|
|July 26, 1949||P.L. 81-187||63 Stat. 480||S. 1279||Harry S. Truman|
|August 12, 1949||P.L. 81-224||63 Stat. 603||S. 1285||Harry S. Truman|
|August 15, 1949||P.L. 81-227||63 Stat. 605||S. 1278||Harry S. Truman|
|October 25, 1949||P.L. 81-382||63 Stat. 903||S. 1284||Harry S. Truman|
|October 26, 1949||P.L. 81-404||63 Stat. 925||S. 2360||Harry S. Truman|
|February 9, 1950||P.L. 81-445||64 Stat. 4||S. 1282||Harry S. Truman|
|September 27, 1950||P.L. 81-846||64 Stat. 1071||S. 2875||Harry S. Truman|
|January 9, 1951||P.L. 81-912||64 Stat. 1237||S. 1281||Harry S. Truman|
|July 8, 1953||P.L. 83-105||67 Stat. 140||S. 35||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|August 3, 1955||P.L. 84-211||69 Stat. 441||S. 1855||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|June 29, 1959||P.L. 86-72||73 Stat. 155||S. 1||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|September 21, 1959||P.L. 86-295||73 Stat. 572||S. 2208||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|September 20, 1961||P.L. 87-255||75 Stat. 523||H.R. 8102||John F. Kennedy|
|March 11, 1964||P.L. 88-280||78 Stat. 158||S. 1153||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|July 2, 1964||P.L. 88-349||78 Stat. 238||H.R. 6041||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|October 13, 1966||P.L. 89-647||80 Stat. 894||S. 3096||Lyndon B. Johnson|
- Aeronautical chart
- Airport and Airway Development Act of 1970
- Airport Improvement Program
- Federal Aviation Act of 1958
- List of Class B airports in the United States
- List of Class C airports in the United States
- Post-war aviation
- "Civil Aeronautics Authority, Technical Development Division, Airport Section - Airport Design Information". HathiTrust Digital Library. University of Wisconsin - Madison. May 1, 1940.
- "Legislative History of the Federal Airport Act : Public law 377, Chapter 251, 79th Congress, 2nd session, Volume I". HathiTrust Digital Library. University of California. April 1948.
- "Legislative History of the Federal Airport Act : Public law 377, Chapter 251, 79th Congress, 2nd session, Volume II". HathiTrust Digital Library. University of California. April 1948.
- "Airports Planning & Capacity - Airport Categories". U.S. Federal Aviation Administration. U.S. Department of Transportation.
- "Airport System Development - Policy Considerations" (PDF). U.S. Congressional Office of Technology Assessment. Princeton University. 1984.
- "Comptroller General's Letter to Secretary of Commerce Concerning Federal Airport Act". U.S. GAO ~ B-60032. U.S. Government Accountability Office. September 9, 1946.
- "Legislative History of the Federal Airport Act : Public law 377, Chapter 251, 79th Congress, 2nd session, Volume I". HathiTrust Digital Library. University of Michigan. April 1948.
- "Legislative History of the Federal Airport Act : Public law 377, Chapter 251, 79th Congress, 2nd session, Volume II". HathiTrust Digital Library. University of Michigan. April 1948.