|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Traded as||NSE: FEDERALBNK
|Industry||Banking and allied industries|
Aluva, Kochi - 683 101,
|Republic of India|
|Shyam Srinivasan (Managing Director & CEO), Nilesh Shivji Vikamsey (Part Time Chairman)|
|Products||Loans, Savings Accounts, Current Accounts, Credit Cards, Debit Cards, Payment Gateway etc.|
|Revenue||₹77.4 billion (US$1.2 billion) (2016)|
|Slogan||Your Perfect Banking Partner|
The Federal Bank Limited is a major Indian commercial bank in the private sector, headquartered at Aluva, Kochi, Kerala. As on 31 March 2016, Federal Bank has 1252 branches spread across 24 states and 1516 ATMs across the country. Its balance-sheet stood at Rs 1.37 trillion as of end March 2016 and its net profit stood at Rs 475 crore for the full fiscal year.
In 1931, Travancore Federal Bank began operations at Pattamukkil Varattisseril house near Nedumpuram, near Thiruvalla, Kerala. The home functioned as the bank office for nearly 15 years. The 14 founders included Pattamukkil Varattisseril Oommen Varghese, his brothers Oommen Chacko, Oommen Kurian, and Oommen George, and Kavumbhagam Mundapallil Lukose. Oommen Varghese was the chairman and Oommen Chacko was the manager. After the bank had functioned for nearly 10 years, the bank's day-to-day operations had to be stopped due to Oomen Chacko's ill-health.
A lawyer from Perumbavoor named K.P.Hormis, and his acquaintances, bought the bank and took over the management. In 1945 they moved the bank's registered office to Aluva and Hormis became the Managing Director. In 1947, the bank's name was shortened from Travancore Federal Bank to Federal Bank.
Between 1963 and 1970, Federal Bank took over Chalakudy Public Bank (est. 20 July 1929 in Chalakudy), Cochin Union Bank (est. 1963) in Trichur, Alleppey Bank (est 1964; Alappuzha), St. George Union Bank (est. 1965) in Puthenpally, and Marthandam Commercial Bank (est. 1968) in Thiruvananthapuram. In 1970, Federal Bank became a scheduled commercial bank and came out with its initial public offering in 1994.
In January 2008, Federal Bank opened its first overseas representative office in Abu Dhabi.
In April 2015, Federal Bank posted its highest ever net profit at Rs 1005.75 crore for the fiscal 2014-15. The net profit grew 20% during the year which saw the deposits and advances of the bank outgrow that of the industry by 40%. 
In August 2013, Federal Bank introduced FedBook, the first electronic passbook launched by any bank in India. FedBook is a mobile app through which customers can view their passbook details.
In May 2015, Federal Bank and SBI Card to launched Federal Bank-SBI two co-branded Visa credit cards, namely Platinum and Gold ‘N More. The Federal Bank SBI Platinum Credit Card will offer distinct and exclusive benefits to customers, especially for fuel payments, dining etc. The platinum variant will offer a credit limit up to Rs.5 lakh and the gold variant up to Rs.1.75 lakh. The platinum variant of Federal Bank-SBI Credit Card offers reward points for every use at dining, departmental and international stores. International airport lounge access and golf course access are the other attractive options for it.
In July 2015, Federal Bank introduced automated chat facility, a first of its kind by an Indian bank. Customer wanting to check the bank’s products and services can now visit its website and chat with its Virtual Relationship Officer/Agent. This service is fast, efficient and available around the clock. The service is powered by CogniCor, whose virtual agent solution works on artificial intelligence-based technology. The virtual agent generates personalised responses to customer queries.
In August 2015, creating history, Federal Bank launched India’s first Mobile App for Bank Account Opening. Bank has introduced this unique facility of Mobile based Bank Account Opening as an upgrade to FedBook, its e-Passbook App. With the new avatar of FedBook, anyone having an Aadhaar Card and PAN Card, be it from rural or urban centers, rich or poor, youth or aged, can now open a Savings Bank Account and get their Account Number instantly using a mobile from anywhere at any time. Further, the account can also be funded with an initial remittance through online fund transfer up to a maximum amount of Rs. 10000. To open an account, one has to just download FedBook in their Mobile and follow 3 easy steps- that of taking a selfie, scanning Aadhaar and PAN Card. The App verifies the Aadhaar real time and opens the account on the click of a button. Once the account is opened, the App turns itself into the digital passbook for the customer. The App is currently available on Android and iOS phones and will soon be available in Windows and Blackberry phones.
Federal Bank was the principal sponsor of Kochi Tuskers Kerala . The tickets for home matches were sold through Federal bank branches and their website. Federal Bank was the perfect banking partner of Micromax ODI Cricket Series 2012 played between India and Sri Lanka in July–August, 2012. See also
Linking of Aadhaar
As Government of India has decided to introduce 'Direct Cash Transfer' (DCT) of various welfare schemes directly to beneficiaries' bank account which is linked with Aadhaar Number w.e.f. 1 January 2013, Federal Bank customers can link their Aadhaar account.
Board of Directors
Current Board of Directors  are :
- Mr. Nilesh Shivji Vikamsey - Part Time Chairman
- Mr. Shyam Srinivasan - Managing Director & CEO
- Mr. Sudhir Moreshwar Joshi - Director
- Mr. C Balagopal - Director
- Mr. K. M. Chandrasekhar - Director
- Mr. Dilip Gena Sadarangani - Director
- Mr. Harish H Engineer - Director
- Smt. Grace Elizabeth Koshie - Director
- Smt. Shubhalakshmi Panse - Director
- Mr. Ashutosh Khajuria - Executive Director
- Mr. Ganesh Sankaran - Executive Director
- Federal Bank won the MasterCard Innovation Awards 2016 under the categories ‘Debit Cards Initiatives' and ‘Acquiring Business Initiatives'.
- Federal Bank received the prestigious 6th Annual Greentech HR Award for "Technology Excellence in HR".
- Federal Bank gets ET Best Corporate Brand 2016 Award
- Federal Bank bags IDRBT Award for Digital Banking, Analytics and Big Data in mid-sized Banks Segment
- Federal Bank wins the Skoch Smart Technology Award 2015 for FedBook Selfie
- "Federal Bank Q4 profit up marginally at Rs 281 cr". The Economic Times.
- "Federal Bank SBI co-branded cards launched". The Hindu.
- "Federal Bank launches chat facility". Hindu Business Line.
- "Federal Bank launches India’s first Mobile App for Bank Account Opening". India Infoline.
- "The Federal Bank Key Personnel".
- Official Site of the bank
- [Hormis : legend of a great banker with passion for development,Biography of K.P. Hormis] by K.P Joseph Kalarickal
- IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards
- IBA Awards for Innovation in Banking 2013 - Indian Banking