Federal Board of Revenue (Pakistan)
|وفاقی آمدنی هيئت|
|Formed||July 1, 1920|
Constitution Ave, G-5,
Islamabad, Capital Territory, Pakistan. 44000
The Federal Board of Revenue (Urdu: وفاقی آمدنی هيئت, abbreviated as FBR) is a top federal government body that investigates crimes related to taxation and money-laundering. The organization collects intelligence on tax evasion and audits cases with respect to unreported income, turnover, liabilities, assets and expenditure. It administers tax laws for the Government of Pakistan and acts as the central revenue collection agency of Pakistan. FBR also operates special Broadening of Tax Base zones that keep tax evaders under surveillance and compulsorily bring them into the tax net through its inspectors. These zones have exclusive powers to scrutinize tax evaders. 
The Federal Board of Revenue is the successor of the Central Board of Revenue created on 1 April 1924 through enactment of the "Central Board of Revenue Act, 1924". In 1944, the CBR was put under the Revenue Division with the Ministry of Finance until 1960, when on the recommendations of the "Administrative Reorganization Committee", the CBR was made into a division of the Ministry of Finance. In 1974, further changes were made to streamline the organization and its functions. In 1991, the CBR was once again reverted to its original status under the Revenue Division, however in January 1995, the Revenue Division was abolished and the CBR was once again reverted to a division of the Ministry of Finance. In 2007, the "FBR Act" was passed in July 2007, whereby the Central Board of Revenue was renamed to the present-day Federal Board of Revenue and for a third time placed again under the Revenue Division of the Ministry of Finance.
FBR is a semi-autonomous federal agency of Pakistan that is responsible for enforcing fiscal laws and collecting revenue for the government of Pakistan. FBR has the responsibility for (i) formulation and administration of fiscal policies, (ii) levy and collection of federal duties, taxes and other levies, and (iii) quasi-judicial function of deciding taxation cases and appeals. FBR is perhaps the largest federal department in Pakistan. FBR primarily operates through its main collection arms comprising Regional Tax Offices (RTOs) and Large Taxpayer Units (LTUs) across the country. FBR has two major wings: the Inland Revenue & Customs. The Inland Revenue Service (formerly known as Income Tax Department) administers domestic taxation including Sales Tax, Income Tax and Federal Excise Duties and is the main component of FBR. The Pakistan Customs Service administers import duties and other taxes collected at import stage, as well regulates international trade with regard to prohibitions & restrictions imposed by the government. For the purpose of collection of revenue and pursuing tax evaders, FBR's powers & functions also include but are not limited to: carrying out inquiries and audits/investigations into the tax affairs, commanding arrests, attachment as well as public auction of movable and immovable assets of a non-compliant.
- Inland Revenue
- Taxpayers Audit
- Information Technology
- Directorate General of Transit Trade - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate of Broadening of Tax Base (Special Directorate)
- Directorate General of Intelligence & Investigation - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate General of Internal Audit - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate General of Input Output Coefficient Organization - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate General of Reform & Automation - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate of Post Clearance Audit - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate General of Valuation - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate General of Training & Research - Pakistan Customs
- Directorate General of Intelligence & Investigation - Inland Revenue
- Directorate general of Training and Research - Inland Revenue
- Directorate of Withholding Tax - Inland Revenue
- Directorate General of Internal Audit - Inland Revenue
|Sr.No||Designation||Current Chief Commissioner|
|1.||Chief Commissioner Large Taxpayer Unit Islamabad||Mustafa Sajad Hassan|
|2.||Chief Commissioner Large Taxpayer Unit Lahore||Asim Ahmad|
|3.||Chief Commissioner Large Taxpayer Unit Karachi||Ms. Seema Shakil|
|4.||Chief Commissioner Corporate Regional Tax Office Karachi||Dr. Fazal Muhammad Abrejo|
|5.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Islamabad||Raza Munawar|
|6.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Rawalpindi||Dr. Hamid Ateeq Sarwar|
|7||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office-II, Karachi||Dr. Faiz Illahi Memon|
|8||Chief Commissioner Corporate Regional Tax Office, Lahore||Nadeem Hussain Rizvi|
|9.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office-II, Lahore||Mr. Asim Majid Khan|
|10.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Multan||Dr. Khalil Ahmad Zahid|
|11.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Gujranwala||Ghazanfar Hussain|
|12.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Sukkur||Dr. Muhammad Ali Khan|
|13.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Faisalabad||Ch. Muhammad Tarique|
|14.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Peshawar||Mir Badshah Khan Wazir|
|15.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Abbotabad||Mr. Amir Ali Khan Talpur|
|16.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Quetta||Dr. Ashfaq Ahmad Tunio|
|17.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Sialkot||Nadeem Arif|
|18.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Hyderabad||Ms. Naheed Azhar|
|19.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Bahawalpur||Shaban Bhatti|
|20.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Sargodha||Dr. Bashirullah Khan|
|21.||Chief Commissioner Regional Tax Office Sahiwal||Dr. Khalil Ahmad Zahid|
Regional Tax Office in Sahiwal is the most recent addition to the tax machinery. It became operative on October 1, 2017.
- Welcome to Federal Board of Revenue! Revenue Division Pakistan
- "FBR WINGS". fbr.gov.pk. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- "Members". www.fbr.gov.pk.
- "IRS Training". http://dgtrdt.gov.pk/html/Publications.html. External link in
- FBR. "Contact Chief Commissioners/Director Generals/Other Head of Department of Field Offices". www.fbr.gov.pk. Retrieved 2018-05-20.
- Webmaster (2017-05-13). "No surprise visits to business premises: FBR Chairman - PakObserver". PakObserver. Retrieved 2018-05-21.
- "RTO Sahiwal becomes operative". The Nation. 2017-10-04. Retrieved 2018-05-20.