Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications
|(in German) Eidgenössisches Departement für Umwelt, Verkehr, Energie und Kommunikation|
(in French) Département fédéral de l'environnement, des transports, de l'énergie et des communications
(in Italian) Dipartimento federale dell'ambiente, dei trasporti, dell'energia e delle comunicazioni
(in Romansh) Departament federal per ambient, traffic, energia e communicaziun
|Jurisdiction||Federal administration of Switzerland|
|Annual budget||Expenditure: CHF 9 billion|
Revenue: CHF 815.3 million
The Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications (DETEC, German: Eidgenössisches Departement für Umwelt, Verkehr, Energie und Kommunikation, French: Département fédéral de l'environnement, des transports, de l'énergie et des communications, Italian: Dipartimento federale dell'ambiente, dei trasporti, dell'energia e delle comunicazioni, Romansh: Departament federal per ambient, traffic, energia e communicaziun (help·info)) is one of the seven departments of the Swiss federal government, headed by a member of the Swiss Federal Council.
The Department is composed of the following offices:
- General Secretariat
- Federal Office for Spatial Development (ARE): Coordinates area planning between the federal agencies, the cantons and the municipalities.
- Federal Office for the Environment (FOEN): Responsible for matters of the environment, including the protection of plants and animals and the protection against noise, air pollution or natural hazards.
- Federal Office for Civil Aviation (FOCA): Regulates civil aviation.
- Federal Office of Communications (OFCOM): Regulates radio and TV stations, notably the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation.
- Federal Office of Energy (FOE): Responsible for the provision of electrical energy at the federal level, as well as for the supervision of dams.
- Federal Office of Transport (FOT): Responsible for public transport at the federal level, including the development of the federal rail network and navigation on the Rhine.
- Federal Roads Authority (FEDRO): Responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of the national highway network.
The following independent authorities are affiliated to the DETEC for administrative purposes:
- Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board (formerly Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau and Investigation Bureau for Railway, Funicular and Boat Accidents).
- Federal Communications Commission (ComCom): Regulates the telecommunications market, awards service licences, rules on interconnection disputes and approves frequency and numbering plans.
- Federal Inspectorate for Heavy Current Installations (ESTI): Responsible for inspecting low and heavy-current electrical installations.
- Federal Nuclear Safety Inspectorate (HSK): Assesses and monitors security and radiation protection in Swiss nuclear installations.
- Federal Pipelines Inspectorate (ERI): Responsible for the planning, construction and operation of fuel pipeline systems in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
- Independent Complaints Authority for Radio and Television: Decides on complaints about radio and television programmes.
- PostReg: Regulates the Swiss Post.
- Railways Arbitration Commission (RACO): Arbitrates in disputes over access to the rail network.
Name of department
- 1848–1859: Department of Posts and Construction
- 1860–1872: Department of Posts
- 1873–1878: Department of Posts and Telegraph
- 1879–1962: Department of Posts and Railways
- 1963–1978: Department of Transport, Communications and Energy
- 1979–1997: Federal Department of Transport, Communications and Energy
- Since 1998: Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications
List of heads of the department
- 1848–1852: Wilhelm Matthias Naeff
- 1853–1854: Josef Munzinger
- 1855–1866: Wilhelm Matthias Naeff
- 1867 only: Jakob Dubs
- 1868 only: Jean-Jacques Challet-Venel
- 1869 only: Jakob Dubs
- 1870–1872: Jean-Jacques Challet-Venel
- 1873–1875: Eugène Borel
- 1876 only: Joachim Heer
- 1877–1879: Emil Welti
- 1880–1881: Simeon Bavier
- 1882–1883: Emil Welti
- 1884 only: Adolf Deucher
- 1885–1891: Emil Welti
- 1892–1901: Josef Zemp
- 1902 only: Robert Comtesse
- 1903–1907: Josef Zemp
- 1908–1911: Ludwig Forrer
- 1912 only: Robert Comtesse
- 1912 only: Louis Perrier
- 1911–1917: Ludwig Forrer
- 1918–1929: Robert Haab
- 1930–1940: Marcel Pilet-Golaz
- 1940–1950: Enrico Celio
- 1950–1954: Josef Escher
- 1955–1959: Giuseppe Lepori
- 1960–1965: Willy Spühler
- 1966–1968: Rudolf Gnägi
- 1968–1973: Roger Bonvin
- 1974–1979: Willy Ritschard
- 1980–1987: Leon Schlumpf
- 1988–1995: Adolf Ogi
- 1995–2010: Moritz Leuenberger
- 2010–2018: Doris Leuthard
- Since 2019: Simonetta Sommaruga
Notes and references
- Swiss Federal Chancellery. "The Swiss Confederation – a brief guide 2009".
- "The aims of the Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy, and Communications (DETEC)". Federal Department of Environment, Transport, Energy and Communications. Retrieved May 2008. Check date values in: