Federal University of Surrey
The Federal University of Surrey was an English university body which existed from 2000 to 2004. It was a federation between two institutions; the University of Surrey (UniS), and the University of Surrey Roehampton (USR).
The University of Surrey, based in Guildford, first validated courses for the Roehampton Institute of Higher Education in Roehampton, London in 1980 and in 1998 the two institutions decided to form an academic federation. The body was officially formed on 14 January 2000 between the two institutions and as part of the merger, Roehampton Institute was renamed University of Surrey, Roehampton.
In October 2003, the University of Surrey Roehampton announced that it would submit an application for independent university title to the Department for Education and Skills, and the application was submitted on 18 March 2004. The name chosen was Roehampton University. The application was considered by the Privy Council, and on 23 June 2004 it was announced that independent University charter was to be granted. Thus on 1 August 2004 the Federal University was dissolved with University of Surrey Roehampton becoming Roehampton University. The two Universities continue to support collaborative activities.
During the years of the Federal University, the sports teams from the two component institutions competed with each other in a variety of disciplines at the Federal Sports Day. In all there were three events held, the first in 2002 was declared a draw but the teams from Guildford came out on top in the 2003 and 2004 events.
- "University of Surrey Website: History of the University". Archived from the original on January 15, 2008. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "University of Surrey Press Release: New Federal University is Established in a First for British Higher Education". January 2000. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- Donald, MacLeod (2003-10-16). "Roehampton joins queue for university status". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "QAA Institutional Audit". December 2003. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "University Status Given". Times Higher Education Supplement. 2004-06-25.
- "University of Surrey Website: University Archives". Archived from the original on 2008-04-13. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- "Roehampton Annual Report 2001–2002" (PDF). 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 6, 2007. Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- "Barefacts: Federal Victory for Surrey" (PDF). 2004-02-26. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2007-04-26.