Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro
Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
|Established||June 5, 1979|
|Chancellor||Ricardo Silva Cardoso|
|Vice-Chancellor||Benedito Fonseca e Souza Adeodato|
The Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro (Portuguese: Universidade Federal do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, UNIRIO), is one of the four federally funded public universities in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It has several campuses in the city of Rio de Janeiro, including two in the Urca neighborhood. It was established on June 5, 1979. The university was ranked 23rd in the Government's ENADE classification, in 2006. In 2010, it was given a score of 4 out of 5 in ENADE's system of evaluation.
UNIRIO has its origins in the Federation of Isolated Schools of the State of Guanabara (FEFIEG), created in 1969, that brought together institutions of higher education that were previously operating in isolation. It integrated traditional institutions such as the Central School of Nutrition, the Alfredo Pinto Nursing School, the National Conservatory of Theater (currently the School of Theater), the Villa-Lobos Institute, the School of Medicine and Surgery of Rio de Janeiro and the National Library's course in Library Science.
With the fusion of the states of Guanabara and Rio de Janeiro, in 1975, FEFIEG became the Federation of Isolated Federal Schools of the State of Rio de Janeiro (FEFIERJ). Two years later, the National Archive's Permanent Course in Archive and the National Historic Museum Course in Museums were incorporated.
In 1979 FEFIERJ was institutionalized with the name of University of Rio de Janeiro (UNIRIO). In 2003 the name was changed to Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro.
- "Mapa de localização" (in Portuguese). UNIRIO. Archived from the original on March 27, 2009. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- "Histórico" (in Portuguese). UNIRIO. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 28, 2009. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- "Veja a lista completa das melhores universidades do Brasil" (in Portuguese). O Globo. June 3, 2007. Retrieved September 11, 2008.
- "Indicador de qualidade das instituições de educação superior - IGC 2010". Retrieved 21 February 2012.
- Official site (in Portuguese)