Federal Way High School
|Federal Way High School|
|30611 16th Avenue South
Federal Way, King County, Washington 98003
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School|
|School district||Federal Way Public Schools|
|NCES District ID||5302820|
|Enrollment||1,477 (June 2014)|
|Student to teacher ratio||21:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and white|
|Fight song||"On Federal Way High"|
|Athletics conference||South Puget Sound League (SPSL) (4A)|
Federal Way High School is located in Federal Way, Washington. It was originally built in 1938. A new campus will be open in the fall of 2016.
- Advanced Placement courses: Calculus, Statistics, and Photography.
- Pre-AP: Classes in English, History of the Pacific Region, World History, Science, and Biology for 9th and 10th graders.
- AVID: (Advancement Via Individual Determination) a college-preparatory class focusing on goal-orientation and organizational skills.
- American Sign Language
- Band (symphonic, concert, orchestra, jazz)
- Cambridge Program courses: Calculus, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Graphic Design, English, U.S History, Economics, International Relations, Photography, Spanish, French.
- Choir (concert, jazz,and chamber)
- Sports Medicine/Athletic Training
- Air Force Junior ROTC
- Leadership & ASB
- University of Washington classes in College Writing, French 5/6, and Spanish 5/6. Students can earn 5 credits for each of these classes.
- Newsweek ranks Federal Way High School 442 on its 2010 list of the United States' 1623 best public high schools
- Marketing - Zero hour student store and 4th period student store
- Woodworking - Beginning and advanced cabinetry classes.
Book Club, Cambridge Academy, Cheer Team, Chess Club, Dance Team, DECA/Student Store, Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America, French Club, Future Business Leaders of America, Gamers Club, Gay/Straight Alliance, Habitat for Humanity, National Honor Society, Key Club, Latino Club, Letter Club, Native American Club, Pacific Islander Club, Peer mediators, Poetry Club, Pride/UNITEE, Reach Club, robotics, and a nationally recognized Speech/Debate Team.
Federal Way is in the Olympic Division of the North Puget Sound League in Washington's West Central District. The most recent successes include Boys' Basketball 4A State Championships back to back in 2014 and 2015(29-0), and back to back State Track Titles for both boys and girls in 2013 and 2014. Boys' Baseball took a first-place finish in 2001 and second-place finishes in 2000, '02 and '03, and a third-place finish in 2010 in the 4A State tournament.
Starting in 2002, the boys' basketball team reignited past tradition by making it to the State tournament for the first time since 1994.Thereafter, the program caught fire once again under long time coach Jerome Collins and the success of the program sustained.
In the 2007-2008 basketball season, Federal Way finished second in the 4A State tournament, their highest finish in school history until 2014. In 2006, FWHS left the South Division of the South Puget Sound League (SPSL) and joined the North SPSL. Also in the 2007 season, the Boys' Soccer Team got second in the state. Both the 2008-2009 Federal Way boys' and girls' basketball teams made the 4A Washington State Basketball tournament. The girls' team went on to finish in third while the Boys finished in first place after a 62-54 win over Garfield High School.
The 2009-2010 Federal Way boys' and girls' basketball teams both made the 4A Washington State Basketball tournament again. The Boys finished 3rd. Also for the 2010 Federal Way Boys' Cross country team, they went 8-0 and became SPSL South Champs. Then later on traveled down to Pasco, Washington to compete in 4a Washington State Cross Country Championships. The boys later on, finished 13th place. In 1978, the Eagles Volleyball team under Coach Kathy Harris placed 3rd in the State Volleyball Tournament. The Eagles’ only other state tournament appearance came in 1988. In 1997, the Women's basketball team won the 3A state championship.
In 2016, FWHS joined the resurrected North Puget Sound League's Olympic Division. 
Notable professional athletes from Federal Way High School include: Donny Marshall (NBA), Michael Dickerson (NBA), Travis Ishikawa (MLB), Lake Dawson (NFL), and Dan Spillner (MLB)
- Shaun Bodiford- NFL player
- Heather Brooke- noted journalist, writer, and freedom of information activist in the United Kingdom.
- Lake Dawson- former NFL player, now a Director of Player Personal with the NFL's Tennessee Titans.
- Michael Dickerson- former NBA player
- Travis Ishikawa- MLB player, currently plays for the San Francisco Giants winning two World Series Titles.
- Dan Spillner- former MLB player (San Diego Padres, Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox)
- Donny Marshall- former NBA player, 2x Sports Emmy winner and current NBA/NCAA basketball analyst for FOX Sports
- Kyle Secor- American television and movie actor
- Ross Shafer- comedian and television host turned motivational speaker
- Kelyn Rowe- Major League Soccer New England Revolution