A federal holiday is a public holiday in a federation. Typically the states or provinces within a federation are free to declare their own public holidays. In some cases, federal holidays are binding on the states, and in others they are only official holidays for federal offices (as is the case in the United States)
In cases where the federation mandates that each state observe the public holiday, it is considered a national holiday.
- Public holidays in Australia
- Public holidays in Canada
- Public holidays in Germany
- Federal holidays in the United States
- Public holidays in the United States