Federation of Ethiopia and Eritrea
"Ethiopia Stretches Her Hands unto God"
Ethiopia, Be Happy
Location of the Federation of Ethiopia and Eritrea
in the Horn of Africa.
|Emperor of Ethiopia|
|•||throughout||Haile Selassie I|
|Prime Minister of Ethiopia|
|•||1960||Imru Haile Selassie|
|Chief Executive of Eritrea|
|Legislature||Imperial Federal Council|
|Historical era||Cold War|
|•||Federation||15 September 1952|
|•||Eritrean War of Independence||1961–1991|
|•||Annexation of Eritrea||15 November 1962|
|Area||1,221,900 km² (471,778 sq mi)|
|Today part of|| Ethiopia
The Federation of Ethiopia and Eritrea or Ethiopian–Eritrean Federation was a federation of the Ethiopian Empire and Eritrea. It was created by the approval of the Federal Act in Ethiopia and the Eritrean Constitution on 15 September 1952.
Prior to the annexation of Eritrea, the Chief Justice of Eritrea was removed and the official Eritrean languages were eliminated in favor of Ethiopia's national language Amharic. During the Federation, the encroachment of the Ethiopian Crown was felt on the Chief Executive of Eritrea. This was in direct contravention of the UN Resolution 390-A(V) which had established the Federation.
The federal structure, or some semblance of it, existed between 15 September 1952 and 15 November 1962. On 15 November 1962, following pressure from Haile Selassie I on the Eritrean Assembly, the Federation was officially dissolved and Eritrea was annexed by Ethiopia.
- Official languages of the Federation alongside Amharic until 1956.
- Siegbert Uhlig, et al. (eds.) (2005). Encyclopaedia Aethiopica, Vol. 2: D-Ha. Wiesbaden: Harrassowitz Verlag. pp.405–409
- Killion, Tom (1998). Historical Dictionary of Eritrea. The Scarecrow Press. ISBN 0-8108-3437-5.
- Haile, Semere (1987). "The Origins and Demise of the Ethiopia-Eritrea Federation". Issue. Issue: A Journal of Opinion, Vol. 15. 15: 9. doi:10.2307/1166919. JSTOR 1166919.
- Habteselassie, Bereket (1989). Eritrea and the United Nations and Other Essays. Red Sea Press. ISBN 0-932415-12-1.
- 390 (V) – Eritrea: Report of the United Nations Commission for Eritrea; Report of the Interim Committee of the General Assembly on the Report of the United Nations Commission for Eritrea