Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations
The Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations (FIRA) is an umbrella body of 83 (as of 2012) rationalist, atheist, skeptic, secularist and science organisations in India. As an apex body of rationalist organisations, it is committed to the development of scientific temper and humanism in India.
There are a number of rationalist, atheist, skeptic, and secularist groups active in the states and regions of India. It was to coordinate the activities of these organisations at the national level that as part of 10th Kerala State Conference of Kerala Yukthivadi Sangham, a meeting of activists from around India was convened at Trivandrum, Kerala. The meeting decided to launch a federation of all the rationalist and skeptic associations active in India. As a result, the Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations was launched on February 7, 1997 at Palakkad, Kerala. Basava Premanand of Indian CSICOP, Tamil Nadu was the founder-convener of the federation. Since its foundation, the FIRA membership has increased to "nearly 50" organisations in 2005, to "more than 75" in 2011 to 83 in 2012.
Dr G Vijayam, Atheist Centre, Vijayawada, was elected as the patron of the association at the 8th National Conference held in Nagpur on 11 and 12 February 2012. The conference reelected Prof Narendra Nayak of Dakshina Kannada Rationalist Association, Karnataka as the national president of the association and U.Kalanathan of Kerala Yukthivadi Sangham as its general secretary.
Affiliation to IHEU
"Humanism is a democratic and ethical life stance, which affirms that human beings have the right and responsibility to give meaning and shape to their own lives. It stands for the building of a more humane society through an ethic based on human and other natural values in the spirit of reason and free inquiry through human capabilities. It is not theistic, and it does not accept supernatural views of reality."
FIRA member organisations
|This section requires expansion. (August 2014)|
FIRA has so far convened nine national conferences:
- Palakkad, Kerala : February 7, 1997
- Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh: March 21 & 22, 1998
- Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu: December 7, 8 & 9, 2001
- Mangalore, Karnataka: May 10 & 11, 2003
- Bhatinda, Punjab: April 2, 3 & 4, 2004
- Pune, Maharashtra: April 28 & 29, 2007
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu: December 26 & 27, 2009
- Nagpur, Maharashtra: February 11 & 12, 2012
- Brahmapur, Odisha: December 24 & 25, 2014.
It has been decided to hold the 10th national conference in Kerala in December, 2016.
- Prabir Ghosh
- Basava Premanand
- List of prizes for evidence of the paranormal
- Narendra Nayak
- Narendra Dabholkar
- Indian Humanist Association
- Indian Rationalist Association
- Indian Secular Society
- Radical Humanist association of India
- Science and Rationalists Association of India
- Manavatavadi Vishwa Sansthan (The International School of Humanitarian Thoughts and Practice), Rajghat, Kurukshetra, Haryana
- Manavavedhy Kerala
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Sankar (8 March 2012). "VIII – FIRA National Conference – V.Kumaresan". The Modern Rationalist. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Quack, Johannes (2012). Disenchanting India: Organized Rationalism and Criticism of Religion in India. New York City: Oxford University Press. p. 98. ISBN 978-0-19-981260-8. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- Varinder Walia (12 May 2005). "FIRA's proposal". India Tribune. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- "Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations (FIRA) - 8th National Conference". Cārvāka 4 India. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Kerala Yukthivadi website
- Priyanka Kakodkar (21 August 2013). "He was not against God but fought exploitation". The Hindu. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Nagar, Munish (May 8, 2006), "Man With a Mission: Indian teaches science to locals to overcome superstitions", OhmyNews, retrieved August 18, 2009
- Tarksheel website
- Report on 8th National Conference of FIRA held in Nagpur in February 2012
- Report on 7th National Conference of FIRA in The Modern Rationalist
- Report on Fourth National Conference of FIRA in The Hindu
- Fighting for Separation of Religion and State in India : IHEU report on the demonstration organized by FIRA in support of Secularism on Parliament Street in New Delhi.
- Humanism in India today IHEU report
- FIRA's Proposal : A brief report in "The Tribune", Chandigarh, on the demonstration organized by FIRA in support of Secularism on Parliament Street in New Delhi
- Rationalists target yoga, spirituality, Art of Living : Report in Indian Express on the 6th National Conference of FIRA (Accessed on 2 May 2007)