Feel Like Makin' Love (Bad Company song)
|"Feel Like Makin' Love"|
|Single by Bad Company|
|from the album Straight Shooter|
|B-side||"Wild Fire Woman"|
|Studio||Clearwell Castle, Gloucestershire, England|
|Bad Company singles chronology|
"Feel Like Makin' Love" is a song by British supergroup Bad Company. The power ballad originally appeared on the LP Straight Shooter in April 1975 and was released as a single in August of the same year. It was named the 78th best hard rock song of all time by VH1.
The song, along with other Bad Company music, was featured in the 2001 movie Scotland PA.
Paul Rodgers started to come up with the lyrics at a camp in California while touring the US with Free. He was 19 years old. After several years, Rodgers played it to Bad Company guitarist Mick Ralphs who threw in that big chord in the chorus - the muted 'duh-duh' that marks the shift from country ballad to chest-beating rocker.
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||5|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||2|
|UK Singles Chart||20|
|US Billboard Hot 100||10|
- Paul Rodgers – lead and backing vocals, rhythm guitar
- Mick Ralphs – lead guitar
- Boz Burrell – bass guitar
- Simon Kirke – drums
Pauline Henry version
|"Feel Like Making Love"|
|Single by Pauline Henry|
|from the album Pauline|
|Pauline Henry singles chronology|
In 1993, the song was covered by British-Jamaican former Chimes singer Pauline Henry, titled "Feel Like Making Love". The single reached #12 in the United Kingdom, #13 in Australia and Denmark, and #17 in New Zealand. On the Eurochart Hot 100, the song peaked at #26.
Larry Flick from Billboard wrote, "On this smashing solo debut, she wraps her well-honed chords around a shiny Bad Company classic rock gem. The result is a guitar-driven pop/hip-hop shuffler drenched in the kind of sweet diva drama that top 40 and R&B radio love to actively pump." Music & Media commented, "Attention to all retro maniacs out there. On the borders between rock and dance Henry covers this '70s rocker by Bad Company." The Network Forty called it a "soulful rendition" and added that "just as crunchy as the original, this funky diva adds a '90s attitudinal delivery." Adam Higginbotham from Select noted that Henry "do some Jennifer Rush-style rockin'" in the song.
|1.||"Feel Like Making Love"||3:59|
|2.||"Love Comes To Mind" ((The Chimes Featuring Pauline Henry))||4:40|
|1.||"Feel Like Making Love"||3:59|
|2.||"Feel Like Making Love" (D'Rhythm Mix)||6:43|
|3.||"Feel Like Making Love" (Extended Mix)||6:04|
|4.||"Love Comes To Mind" (Remix)||4:06|
|1.||"Feel Like Making Love" (Radio Edit)||3:35|
|2.||"Feel Like Making Love" (Damien's Feel Like Makin' Radio Edit)||2:54|
|3.||"Feel Like Making Love" (Original Extended Version)||6:04|
|4.||"Feel Like Making Love" (Damien's Feel Like Makin' Club Mix)||4:37|
|5.||"Feel Like Making Love" (D'Rhythm Mix)||6:42|
|6.||"Feel Like Making Love" (D'Media Mix)||5:41|
Philip Claypool version
- A cover was released by country music artist Philip Claypool in 1995 on his debut album A Circus Leaving Town. It was the highest-charting of that album's four singles, peaking at #60 on the Hot Country Songs chart.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||60|
Kid Rock version
- The song was covered by Kid Rock on his self-titled 2003 release. His version peaked at #33 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||33|
- Millie Jackson recorded "Feel Like Making Love" in 1976, reaching #71 R&B.
- The song was covered by Trey Parker and Isaac Hayes in character as Ned Gerblansky and Chef for Chef Aid: The South Park Album.
- Strong, Charles (2002) [Originally published in 1994]. The Great Rock Discography (Sixth ed.). United Kingdom: Canongate Books. p. 133. ISBN 1-84195-312-1.
- Straight Shooter (Vinyl sleeve). Bad Company. United States: Swan Song Records. 1975. Back cover. SS 8413.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Feel Like Makin' Love: Romantic Power Ballads". AllMusic.
- "100 Best Hard Rock Songs Ever (According to VH1)". Stereogum. 5 January 2009. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "The Story Behind The Songs: Feel Like Makin' Love by Bad Company". Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "charts.nz > Bad Company in New Zealand Charts". Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- British Hit Singles & Albums (17th ed.). London: Guinness World Records. 2004. p. 41. ISBN 0-85112-199-3.
- "Bad Company Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Billboard: NEW & NOTEWORTHY" (PDF). Billboard. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "New Releases: Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. 13 November 1993. p. 8. Retrieved 26 February 2018.
- "Mainstream: Music Meeting" (PDF). The Network Forty. 22 July 1994. p. 22. Retrieved 29 March 2020.
- "Reviews: New Albums". Select. 1 March 1994. p. 74. Retrieved 3 March 2020.
- "australian-charts.com > Pauline Henry in Australian Charts". Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. 27 November 1993. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "Pauline Henry – Feel Like Making Love (single)" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "The Irish Charts – All there is to know > Search results for 'Pauline Henry'". Fireball Media. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "charts.nz > Pauline Henry in New Zealand Charts". Hung Medien. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- "Official Charts > Pauline Henry". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 15 February 2017.
- British Hit Singles & Albums (17th ed.). London: Guinness World Records. 2004. p. 660. ISBN 0-85112-199-3.
- "The ARIA Australian Top 100 Singles 1994". Imgur.com (original document published by ARIA). Archived from the original on 25 October 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Philip Claypool Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.