Feels So Good (composition)
|"Feels So Good"|
|Single by Chuck Mangione|
|from the album Feels So Good|
|Format||7" (45 rpm)|
|Genre||Easy listening, smooth jazz|
|Length||3:28 (single edit)
9:43 (album version)
The album version of "Feels So Good" runs almost ten minutes, but an edit trimming the piece to 3 minutes 28 seconds was released as a single in early 1978. The single reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in June of that year after spending a week atop the Billboard easy listening chart in May. The recording was also nominated for a Grammy Award for Record of the Year at the ceremony held in 1979, losing out to Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are". Mangione re-recorded the tune (as a slow ballad, and with lyrics sung by Don Potter) for his 1982 album 70 Miles Young.
Mangione was quoted describing the editing of the original version of the track as "major surgery."
- Chuck Mangione: Flugelhorn & electric piano
- Chris Vadala: Saxes (album version only)
- Grant Geissman: Guitar
- Charles Meeks: Electric Bass
- James Bradley, Jr.: Drums
Uses in popular culture
Mangione appeared in a commercial for Memorex in 1979 performing "Feels So Good". Ella Fitzgerald, who became famous for Memorex commercials in 1970s, heard Mangione and musicians perform it, then it was played back for her. When she was asked "if it was live or it is Memorex?", Ella shrugged and said, "Beats me!".
It was also played at the beginning of the movie, Doctor Strange. It is part of a "name that tune" musical challenge game they play while performing an operation. At one point it is commented "the man charted a top ten hit with a Flugelhorn".
Mason Storm, as portrayed by Steven Seagal, enjoys listening to "Feels so Good" in his car in the 1990 action-thriller Hard to Kill.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications)
- Hyatt, Wesley (1999). The Billboard Book of #1 Adult Contemporary Hits (Billboard Publications)
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 374.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-11-03.
- Seagal, Steven; LeBrock, Kelly; Sadler, William; Coffin, Frederick (1990-02-09), Hard to Kill, retrieved 2017-01-19
- Jackson, Grant (6 September 2013). "Chuck Mangione On Piano Jazz : NPR". Retrieved 1 March 2017.