|Education||MSc in Medical biology|
|Alma mater||Utrecht University|
Erasmus University Rotterdam
|Known for||CEO of Royal DSM (2007–present)|
Feike Sijbesma (born 1959) is a Dutch business executive who is the current CEO and Chairman of the Managing Board of DSM. He is also a designated Global Climate Leader for the World Bank Group and is the Co-Chair of the High Level Assembly of the group's Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition.
Early life and education
Sijbesma was born in Nieuw-Loosdrecht, Netherlands in 1959. His father was an insurance agent. Sijbesma graduated with a Master of Science in medical biology from Utrecht University and a Master of Business Administration from Erasmus University Rotterdam.
After graduating from Erasmus University Rotterdam in 1987, Sijbesma took a job in the pharmaceuticals division of the Dutch biotechnology company, Gist-Brocades. In 1993, he was appointed General Manager of the Savoury Business Unit at Gist-Brocades. Two years later, he was appointed to the company's Executive Committee. By 1998, he was Head of Marketing and Sales at the company. That year, Gist-Brocades was acquired by DSM. After the merger, Sijbesma became the Director of DSM Food Specialties.
In 2000, Sijbesma joined the Managing Board of Directors at DSM as the company shifted toward nutrition and biotech. In May 2007, he was named CEO of the company and Chairman of the Managing Board. As DSM CEO, Sijbesma transformed the company into a life science and material science company. The company sold its last petrochemical business in 2010 including its entire industrial chemicals and pharmaceutical units. During that time, Sijbesma also oversaw 25 major acquisitions for the company. Additionally, Sijbesma brought DSM into a partnership with the United Nations' World Food Programme (WFP) to provide food assistance to locations like Rwanda and Kenya. In Rwanda, a partnership between DSM, the WFP, and the Rwandan government produced an Africa Improved Foods manufacturing facility. In 2010, Sijbesma was given the United Nations Humanitarian of the Year award.
In 2016, he was named Co-Chair of the High Level Assembly of the Carbon Pricing Leadership Coalition (CPLC) which is organized by the World Bank Group. In 2017, the World Bank Group named him a "Global Climate Leader." He also advocated for widespread corporate and governmental use of carbon pricing in 2017. Sijbesma is a member of the Global CEO Council of the Chinese People's Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries, advising the Chinese Premier.
- Dutch Central Bank, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Unilever, Non-executive Member of the Board
- Scaling Up Nutrition Movement, Member of the Lead Group (since 2016, appointed by United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon)
- Steinglass, Matt (August 18, 2013). "Feike Sijbesma, chief of DSM". Financial Times. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Feike Sijbesma - Chairman and CEO of Royal DSM". Huffington Post. March 13, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Meat & Poultry - Volume 39 - Page 499". Meat & Poultry. 1993. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Budde, Florian; Frankemölle, Heiner (January 13, 2006). Value Creation: Strategies for the Chemical Industry (2nd ed.). Wiley-VCH. ISBN 978-3527312665.
- "Sijbesma: Behoud grote ondernemingen voor Nederland". Financieele Dagblad (in Dutch). April 3, 2017. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- "Going Up? Information Management". Chemical Week. 2000. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- van Agtmael, Antoine; Bakker, Fred (March 29, 2016). The Smartest Places on Earth: Why Rustbelts Are the Emerging Hotspots of Global Innovation. PublicAffairs. ISBN 978-1610394369.
- "Interview Feike Sijbesma (CEO DSM) over MVO" (in Dutch). Duurzaam Ondernemen. November 3, 2007. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Jeannet, Jean-Pierre; Schreuder, Hein (April 15, 2015). From Coal to Biotech: The Transformation of DSM with Business School Support. Springer. ISBN 978-3662462980.
- Fry, Erika (September 12, 2017). "This Former Chemical Company Went 'Green'—and Its Stock Took Off". Fortune. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Anzilotti, Eillie (June 8, 2017). "This Rwandan Factory Is Revolutionizing How Humanitarian Aid Is Done". FastCompany. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Khanna, Sundeep (November 23, 2016). "The Bill Gates way to resolving social issues". Mint. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Robertson, Joseph (April 25, 2016). "A global coalition mapping and motivating decarbonization". The Guardian. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Bouwer, Erik (September 14, 2017). "'DSM wil de wereld een beetje beter achterlaten'" (in Dutch). Management Scope. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Frangoul, Anmar (July 18, 2017). "CEO urges companies to wise up to carbon pricing or face a 'Kodak moment'". CNBC. Retrieved March 15, 2018.
- Secretary-General Appoints 29 Global Leaders to Spearhead Fight against Malnutrition United Nations, press release of 21 September 2016.