Feld am See
|Feld am See|
|• Mayor||DI Dr. Erhard Veiter|
|• Total||33.68 km2 (13.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||751 m (2,464 ft)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||33/km2 (86/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
It is located in a valley of the Nock Mountains range at the shore of the Brennsee (or Feldsee), between the mountains of Mirnock (el. 2110 m) and Wöllaner Nock (el. 2145 m). It consists of one Katastralgemeinde, Rauth, the oldest settlement in the area.
|Fresach||Afritz am See|
The hidden Gegendtal was not populated until the Middle Ages, when about 1300 its sunny northern side was stubbed and the name of the valley was first mentioned in a 1308 deed. The village called Rauth (from German: Roden, root out) was the most important settlement in the whole area for a long time. Feld am See itself was established with the construction of a Protestant church in 1787 according to the 1781 Edict of Tolerance by Emperor Joseph II.
The lake called "Brennsee" or "Feldner See" was named after the tavern and distillery Brenn which was founded in 1632. An elementary school was established in 1851. In the late 19th century summer tourism around the lake started.
In the period between 1973 and 1991 Feld am See and neighbouring Afritz am See were united to a single municipality.
The census in 2001 counted 1,188 inhabitants. 66.0% are Protestants (whole Carinthia: 10.3%), 27.5% are Roman Catholics, 0.8% are Muslims and 5.1% belong to other denominations.
Cultural Activities and Associations
Several associations exist in Feld am See.
- MGV Feld am See - a male choral society
- Gemischter Chor Feld am See - a choir
- Frauentrachtengruppe Feld am See - a women's association wearing traditional costumes
- Trachtenkapelle Feld am See - a traditional Austrian big band
- Mirnock-Oldies - an Oldtimer association
- and some more
Some sights are:
- Protestant church of Feld am See (built in 1787)
- Catholic church of Feld am See (build in 1960)
- Wildpark Feld am See - a deer park
- Mirnockriese - a stone statue of a legendary giant
Places to visit:
- Brennsee - one of two bathing lakes
- Afritzer See - the second bathing lake
- Feldpannalm - a beautiful mountain pasture
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Feld am See.|
|This Carinthia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|