Brych after refereeing a Bundesliga game in 2009.
|Full name||Felix Brych|
3 August 1975 |
Based in Munich, Brych started refereeing in the Bundesliga in 2004 and was awarded his FIFA badge in 2007. He refereed his first senior international match in October that year, taking charge of Romania's 2–0 win over Luxembourg in UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying Group G. In February 2008, he was appointed to referee the 2007–08 UEFA Cup Round of 32 match between Panathinaikos and Rangers, and in October 2008, he officiated the 2008–09 UEFA Champions League Group D match between Liverpool and PSV Eindhoven. In October 2011 he officiated the Champions League Group C match between Manchester United and Oţelul Galaţi, where he was responsible for the controversial sending off of Nemanja Vidić.
He officiated the first leg of the 2011–12 Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Barcelona, a match that finished with a win for the Blues over the defending champions. In August 2013 he officiated an international friendly between England and Scotland at Wembley Stadium, and on 14 May 2014 he refereed the 2014 UEFA Europa League Final and was severely criticised for benefiting Sevilla.
Outside of football, Brych is a qualified doctor of law, having written his doctorate about sports.
- "Panathinaikos 1-1 Rangers - Lineups". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. 21 February 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "Liverpool 3-1 PSV - Lineups". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. 1 October 2008. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "SC Otelul Galati 0-2 Man Utd". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 18 October 2011. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- Gardner, Paul (15 May 2014). "Brazen goalkeeper cheating helps Sevilla win Europa League". SoccerAmerica. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Com arbitragem polêmica e muito drama, Sevilla bate Benfica nos pênaltis e conquista a UEL" [With a polemic officiating and lots of drama, Sevilla beats Benfica on penalties and wins the UEL]. vavel.com (in Portuguese). VAVEL Brasil. 14 May 2014. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Alone, Armed with only a whistle 18.April.2012
|UEFA Europa League Final referee