Felix Gilbert (May 21, 1905 – February 14, 1991) was a German-born American historian of early modern and modern Europe. Gilbert was born in Baden-Baden, Germany to a middle-class Jewish family, and part of the Mendelssohn Bartholdy clan. In the latter half of the 1920s, Gilbert studied under Friedrich Meinecke at the University of Berlin. Gilbert's area of expertise was the Renaissance, especially the diplomatic history of the period. He was a fellow of the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton from 1962 to 1975, and maintained an active involvement as an emeritus faculty member until his death in 1991.
- Johann Gustav Droysen und die preussisch-deutsche Frage, diss., Berlin 1931.
- Makers of Modern Strategy: Military Thought from Machiavelli to Hitler, (co-edited with Edward M. Earle and Gordon A. Craig) Princeton, N.J. 1943; New York 1966, 1971.
- "Bernardo Rucellai and the Orti Oricellari: A Study on the Origin of Modern Political Thought". In: Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, Volume 12, 1949, p. 101-131.
- The Diplomats, 1919-1939, (co-edited with Gordon A. Craig), Princeton, N.J. 1954; New York 1963.
- To the Farewell Address: Ideas of Early American Foreign Policy, Princeton, N.J. 1961.
- Machiavelli and Guicciardini: Politics and History in Sixteenth-Century Florence, Princeton, N.J. 1965.
- Gilbert, Felix (1970). The End of the European Era: 1890 to the Present. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. 426 pages. ISBN 9780393054132. OCLC 423354102.
- History: Choice and Commitment, Cambridge, Mass. 1977.
- The Pope, His Banker, and Venice, Cambridge, Mass. 1981.
- A European Past: Memoirs, 1905-1945, 1988.
- History: Politics or Culture? Reflections on Ranke and Burckhardt, 1990.
- Thompson, Bruce "Gilbert, Felix" pages 465-466 from The Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing, Volume 1, edited by Kelly Boyd, London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishing, 1999
- Thompson, Bruce "Gilbert, Felix" pages 465-466 from The Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing, Volume 1, edited by Kelly Boyd, London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishing, 1999 (page 465)
- Craig, Gordon "Insight and Energy: Reflections on the Work of Felix Gilbert" in Felix Gilbert as Scholar and Teacher edited by Hartmut Lehmann, Washington D.C., German Historical Institute,Occasional Paper #6,1992.
- Thompson, Bruce "Gilbert, Felix" pages 465-466 from The Encyclopedia of Historians and Historical Writing, Volume 1, edited by Kelly Boyd, London: Fitzroy Dearborn Publishing, 1999.
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|