|Known for||Wikipedia editor|
|Awards||Wikimedian of the Year (2017)|
Felix Nartey is a Ghanaian social entrepreneur and open advocate who was named the Wikimedian of the Year in August 2017 by Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales at Wikimania. He is the chapter lead and Co-founder of Creative Commons Ghana and also a co-founder of Open Foundation West Africa.
Nartey was born in Tema in Ghana. He graduated from Pope John Secondary School in 2008 and Central University with a B.Sc. in Banking and Finance in 2013, and as of 2017 was working on an M.B.A. from the Anhalt University of Applied Sciences. While studying at Central University he was appointed a Google Student Ambassador, a position that surged his interest in technology.
After his first degree, he became a banker and volunteered in other capacities. Nartey served as the community manager for Wikimedia Ghana. He later co-founded Open Foundation West Africa, a non-profit organisation whose goal is to encourage the creation of content under open licenses.
As of August 2017,[update] Nartey worked as the Global Coordinator for the Wikipedia Library at the Wikimedia Foundation. He is also a member of the interim Global Network Council of Creative Commons.
Contributions in the Open Movement
Nartey joined the Wikimedia movement in 2012. He adds content about his home country, Ghana, and leads several initiatives to promote the importance of editing Wikipedia, including GLAM activities, the Wikipedia Education Program, activities targeted at bridging the gender gap, and the Wikipedia Library.
He was a member of the Advisory Group for the transition of the Creative Commons Global Network Strategy and a member of the Drafting Committee for the Wikimedia Movement Strategy. He was also a member of the core team of the Firefox Africa Group.
In his Wikipedian of the Year dedication, Wales mentioned that Nartey played a leading role in the organisation of the 2nd Wiki Indaba conference 2017 in Accra, and has been critical in building up the local communities in Africa.
- Elsharbaty, Samir (2017-08-16). "Felix Nartey named Wikimedian of the Year for 2017". Wikimedia Blog. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved 2017-08-18.
- Sanchez, Cristina (2017-09-23). "El wikipedista del año que dejó su trabajo para poner África en el mapa de internet. Noticias de Tecnología". El Confidencial (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-11-25.
- "Chapters". CC Global Network. 2018-06-09. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "What image is Ghana's copyright law projecting?". MisBeeeWrites. 2018-08-16. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "OFWA - Team". openfoundationwestafrica.org. Archived from the original on 2018-09-02. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- "Wiki Loves Women Team". Wiki Loves Women. Retrieved 2017-08-21.
- "Felix Nartey". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2017-08-27.[permanent dead link]
- "about us". googleclubcuc.blogspot.se. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- Mizrahi, Ruby; Elsharbaty, Samir; Kozlowski, Tomasz (2017-01-11). "Writing Ghana into Wikipedia: Felix Nartey". Wikimedia Blog. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- Akpah, Prince (2016-03-04). "Ghana Celebrates 15 Years Of Wikipedia". News of the South. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- Gargantini, Gabriele (2016-07-03). "Esino Lario ha fatto "Modifica"". Il Post (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "WikiFundi launched to help editors contribute to Wikipedia offline". WikiFundi. 2017-02-03. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- Esson, Theresah (2017-04-19). "PRAAD receives support to digitise archival information". Graphic Online. Retrieved 2017-08-26.
- "Open Foundation West Africa Holds First Creative Commons Salon in Ghana". OFWA. 2017-01-21. Archived from the original on 2017-02-05. Retrieved 2017-08-31.
- "Felix Nartey named Wikimedian of the Year 2017". Classic Ghana. 2017-08-29. Archived from the original on 20 December 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-25.
- "creativecommons/global-network-strategy". GitHub. Retrieved 2018-09-01.
- Gyesi, Zadok K. "Project created to publish information on Ghanaian women". Graphic Online. Retrieved 2019-01-16.
- global-network-strategy: Action plan to design a model of collaboration for the future of the CC Network, Creative Commons, 2016-11-29, retrieved 2017-11-25
- "Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/People/Drafting Group - Meta". meta.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2017-11-25.
- Wikimania 2017 Closing Ceremony. YouTube. 2017-08-13.
- Media related to Felix Nartey at Wikimedia Commons