Felix Wierzbicki (Polish: 'Feliks Paweł Wierzbicki'; 1 January 1815, Czerniawka, Volhynia, Poland, now Chernyavka, Zhytomyr Oblast, Ukraine — 26 December 1860, San Francisco) was a Polish-American veteran of the November 1830 Uprising, physician, soldier, traveler, and writer.
In 1849, Wierzbicki published in San Francisco the first English-language book printed in California, California as It Is and as It May Be, or A Guide to the Gold Region. The book is an "unvarnished" description of the culture, peoples, and climate of the area at that time. Wierzbicki described prospective settlers, and included a survey of agriculture and hints on gold mining.
- The Ideal Man: A Conversation between Two Friends, upon the Beautiful, the Good, and the True, as Manifested in Actual Life, Boston, E.P. Peabody, 1842. Signed A Philokalist ("Lover of Beauty"), credited to Wierzbicki.
- California as It Is and as It May Be, or A Guide to the Gold Region, 1849.
- Teofil Lachowicz, Polish Freedom Fighters on American Soil: Polish Veterans in America from the Revolutionary War to 1939, ISBN 1936198312, 2011 p. 21
- "Wierzbicki Feliks Paweł", Encyklopedia PWN
- Gillian Olechno-Huszcza (Spring 1985). "Feliks Pawel Wierzbicki in California" (PDF). Vol. 42, No. 1. Polish American Studies. pp. 59–69. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014. Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- Felix Wierzbicki, "California Guidebook", 1849
- Felix Paul Wierzbicki, California as It Is and as It May Be, or A Guide to the Gold Region, San Francisco, Grabhorn Press, 1933.
- Felix Wierzbicki, California Guidebook, 1849 online
- California As I Saw It, 1849-1900. Vol. 15. [database on-line] Washington: Library of Congress, 1999
- Miecislaus Haiman, "Dr. Felix Paul Wierzbicki", in Polish Pioneers of California, Chicago, Polish R[oman] C[atholic] Union of America, 1940, p. 43.
- Dictionary of Anonymous and Pseudonymous English Literature, 1928, vol. 3, p. 128.
- A contemporary review of the book, The Boston Quarterly Review, April 1842.
- Miecislaus Haiman [Mieczysław Haiman], "Dr. Felix Paul Wierzbicki", in Polish Pioneers of California, Chicago, Polish R[oman] C[atholic] Union of America, 1940, pp. 39–43.
- George D. Lyman, "Wierzbicki: The Book and the Doctor" (introduction to reprint of California as It Is and as It May Be, San Francisco, Grabhorn Press, 1933).
|This article about a Polish writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|