Fem la República Catalana
|We Do the Catalan Republic|
|Date||11 September 2018|
|Goals||Independence of Catalonia|
Creation of a Catalan Republic
|Methods||Political rally, street protest|
We Do the Catalan Republic (Catalan: Fem la República Catalana) was a gathering in Barcelona on 11 September 2018, the National Day of Catalonia, in support of Catalan independence and the Catalan Republic passed by the Parliament of Catalonia on 27 October 2017. It was organized by the Catalan National Assembly (ANC), the main civil society organisations behind the massive pro-independence demonstrations held since 2012.
The number of participants that took part in the demonstration was 1,000,000 according to the Guàrdia Urbana de Barcelona. Organisers said 460,000 people had registered beforehand for the event, using an online form.
After winning a majority in the 2015 Parliament of Catalonia election, pro-referendum parties approved a project to hold the Catalan independence referendum in 1 October 2017. The outcome of the referendum gave the victory the independence option and the Parliament of Catalonia passed the Catalan declaration of independence on 27 October 2017. The objective of the demonstration was to boost and show support for Catalan Republic.
The demonstration followed similar protests in 2010, 2012, the Catalan Way (2013), the Catalan Way 2014, the Free Way to the Catalan Republic (2015), the Go ahead, Catalan Republic (2016) and the National Day for Yes (2017).
- "Hundreds of thousands sign up for Catalan National Day demo". Catalan News Agency. Barcelona. 10 September 2018. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "One million demand independence in Barcelona". Catalan News Agency. Barcelona. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- Burgen, Stephen (11 September 2018). "A million attend rally in Barcelona to call for Catalan independence". The Guardian. Barcelona. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "One million Catalans rally for independence in Barcelona". France 24. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "'We won the right to independence' ANC head tells National Day protesters". Catalan News Agency. Barcelona. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Foreign lawyers address crowds in 'support of Catalan Republic'". Catalan News Agency. Barcelona. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fem la República Catalana.|
- We Do the Catalan Republic (in Catalan)