|Single by Cookie Dingler|
|Released||July 1, 1984|
|Label||EMI Pathé Marconi|
"Femme libérée" is a successful song recorded by French band Cookie Dingler. Written in 1984, it achieved a huge success in France and became a popular song throughout the years. It was the sole success of the band.
Background and writing
Written in 1984 by Joelle Kopf and Christian Dingler under the label EMI Music, the song, which lasts 3:42, was a great success in the 1980s.
The song, released as a single on July 1, 1984, fell within the context of an era marked by the emergence of thoughtless songs which mocked some popular themes of society at the time. According to Elia Habib, an expert of French charts, the song reduced "freed women with a tender irony in an archetypal caricature" at a time when "the look is gaining importance and makes you "in" or not".
The song is available on many French compilations released in the 2000s, such as Tubes d'un jour tubes de toujours spécial années 80 (2001), Absolument 80: Tubes français Vol. 1 (2002), Nostalgie Classiques 80 (2006), Maxi Singles 80, 100 chansons françaises, Nos années 80 - Platinum Collection (2007).
Charts performances and awards
In 1984, the song gained the price of the Union Nationale des Auteurs et Compositeurs awarded by the SACEM.
The single featured for 18 weeks on the French Singles Chart (Top 50), but this official chart began only on December 4, 1984, while the song was released five month earlier. It was #2 in the first edition of the chart, just behind Peter and Sloane's hit "Besoin de rien, envie de toi"; it stayed for two consecutive weeks at number 2. Then it dropped and totalled ten weeks in the top ten. In 1985, the single was certified Platinum disc by the SNEP. According to Infodisc website, 985,000 copies of the song were sold, making to date "Femme libérée" the 96th best-selling single of all time in France.
In 2005, Soma Riba band featuring DJ Fou covered the song but did not manage to reach success: The single peaked at #33 on the French singles chart on July 4, 2005 and remained on the top 100 chart for 16 weeks.
- 7" single
- "Femme libérée" — 3:40
- "Sexy Rock" — 2:47
Certifications and sales
|Country||Certification||Date||Sales certified||Physical sales|
|Eurochart Hot 100||24|
|French SNEP Singles Chart||2|
- Cookie Dingler's singles, with dates of release Infodisc Archived June 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved July 19, 2008)
- Elia Habib, Muz hit. tubes, 1998, p. 21,22 (ISBN 2-9518832-0-X)
- "Femme libérée", French Singles Chart Lescharts.com (Retrieved July 19, 2008)
- Platinum discs in France Infodisc.fr Archived 2014-03-30 at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved July 19, 2008)
- Best-selling singles of all time in France Infodisc.fr Archived September 27, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. (Retrieved July 19, 2008)
- "Femme libérée", by Soma Riba and DJ Fou, French singles chart Lescharts.com (retrieved July 19, 2008)