This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|License||Proprietary / Freeware|
Fences is a utility for Windows that helps to organize icons on the desktop. It is developed by Stardock and distributed as part of their Object Desktop suite. Version 1 was freeware. after which it has become a commercial product.
Fences defines translucent areas on the desktop that contain groups of icons. These fences can be individually created, named, moved, and resized — they will also display a scroll bar if necessary.
A PC World reviewer praised the free edition of Fences, saying that "it wasn't five minutes after installing this program that I realized I'll be using it for the rest of my computing life. It's that good." A preview edition was listed as TechSpot's download of the week in February 2009.
Download.com approved of the snapshots, and the ability to change colour schemes, but criticized the process of fence creation and the inability to sort icons into fences by type — a feature added in the Pro edition. Some ZDNet readers also noticed visual similarities to the Folderview feature introduced in KDE 4.1.
- "Object Desktop product information". Stardock. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- Jessica Dolcourt (2009-10-05). "Download.com editor's review - Fences 1.0". Download.com. CNET. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- Chakkaradeep Chandran (2009-02-05), Fence your desktop with Stardock Fences, Neowin, archived from the original on 2012-09-03, retrieved 2010-02-03
- Jessica Dolcourt (2009-10-06), "The secret to a perfect desktop? Fences", The Download Blog, CNET, retrieved 2010-02-03
- Rick Broida (2009-10-20), "Free Downloads Make Your Computing Life Easier", PC World, retrieved 2010-02-03
- Jose Vilches (2009-02-27), Download of the Week: Stardock Fences, TechSpot, retrieved 2010-02-03
- Jason Perlow (2009-08-23). "My Must Have Windows 7 Utility: Stardock Fences". Tech Broiler. ZDNet. Retrieved 2010-02-03.