Fenton High School (Illinois)
|Fenton High School|
Fenton High School Logo
|1000 W. Green Street
Bensenville, Illinois, 60106
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Fenton HS District #100|
|Average class size||17.9|
|Campus size||Approx. 1400 Students|
|Athletics conference||Metro Suburban Conference|
|Average ACT scores||20.0|
Fenton High School, or FHS, is a public four-year high school located in Bensenville, Illinois, located on the western border of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States. It is the sole school in Community High School District 100.
High school education started in Bensenville as a two-year, then three-year high school serving the Bensenville area from 1917-1924 as part of Bensenville Elementary School District 2. In 1925 Community High School District 100 was founded with a four-year program serving both Bensenville and Wood Dale. 1927 Bensenville Community High School was built. By 1951, the enrollment grew far beyond the building's capacity and a referendum was passed allowing the board to build a new building. Opened in September 1955, the school was named Fenton Community High School after Frederick C. Fenton, the district's first superintendent.
In 2007, Fenton had an average composite ACT score of 20.0, and graduated 87.3% of its senior class. The average class size is 17.9. Fenton has not made Adequate Yearly Progress on the Prairie State Achievement Examination, which with the ACT, acts as the test in Illinois to fulfill the federal No Child Left Behind Act. The school has not met the overall AYP in reading, as did three subgroups. One subgroup failed to meet AYP in mathematics.
The school awards credit on a semester basis, with students being required to earn 45 semester credits for graduation. Starting with the class of 2012, graduation requires 8 semesters of English, 7 semesters of physical education, 6 semesters in social studies and math, and four in science. Two credits are required in fine and applied arts (which includes foreign languages). One semester is required in health and information processing.
The school offers 19 Advanced Placement courses: Studio Art, French Language, German Language, Spanish Language, Computer Science, Statistics, Calculus (AB & BC), Biology, Chemistry, Physics (B), U.S. History, World History, Microeconomics, and Macroeconomics.
In English, there is a year–long course termed "AP American Literature", which is designed to prepare students for the AP English Language test. There are two single semester courses titled "AP American Writers" and "AP Seminar in English" which jointly prepare students for the AP English Literature test.
All students are required to complete 25 hours of community service for graduation.
Fenton competes in the Metro Suburban Conference and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), which sponsors the state championship series for most sports in Illinois. Its mascot is the Bison.
The school offers interscholastic sports for men and women in basketball, bowling, cross country, gymnastics, soccer. swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, and volleyball. Men may also compete in baseball, football, golf, and wrestling. Women may compete in badminton, cheerleading, and softball. While not recognized by the IHSA, the school also sponsors a competitive dance team (called Dance Force) for women.
The following teams have won their respective IHSA state championship tournaments:
- Bowling (Girls): 1984-85, 87-88, 88-89
- Wrestling: 1972-73
The school offers 19 clubs and activities for students. One of the more unique clubs is Image Makers, a club devoted to experimental art work, much of which is used to decorate the school.
The theater group meets as a class, in addition to being an activity. Small performances are given in October, with the year's work culminating in a spring musical in May of each year.
The following non-athletic activities won their respective IHSA sponsored state competitions:
- Colin Brady (1987) is an animator with the PIXAR corporation and has worked as an animator or supervisor on E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, and A Bug's Life.
- Daren Dochterman (1985) is an art designer and illustrator for over 35 feature films including The Abyss, and Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
- Jim Spivey (1978) is a three-time member of the US Olympic track & field team (1984, 1992, & 1996).
- Genevieve [Audrey] Wagner (1945) was a professional baseball player in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, winning the league's batting title in 1948. She later earned an M.D. and pilots license.
- Monica Pedersen HGTV designer appearing on “Designed to Sell,” “Bang for Your Buck” and “Dream Home.”
- Matt Lloyd Orlando Magic Assistant General Manager. Was formally the head of College scouting for the Chicago Bulls.
- Daniel (2002) & Jose Luis Terrazas Jr.(2004) brothers and Musicians form part of "Grupo Montez De Durango" Multi Platinum Recording Artist. 2009 Grammy Nominated band.
- Fenton HS District #100 Administrators; accessed 16 June 2009
- Staff Directory for Fenton HS; accessed 16 June 2009
- 2008-09 Fenton school enrollment @ihsa.org
- 2007 Illinois School Report Card for Fenton HS; accessed 16 June 2009
- Information for Fenton HS; ihsa.org; accessed 16 June 2009
- Kaleidoscope homepage; accessed 16 June 2009
- Signal homepage; accessed 16 June 2009
- Highlights homepage; accessed 16 June 2009
- School History; accessed 13 August 2008
- Graduation requirements, p. 3; accessed 14 August 2008
- Curriculum guide, p. 15; accessed 14 August 2008
- Curriculum guide, p. 36; accessed 14 August 2008
- Curriculum guide, p. 49; accessed 14 August 2008
- Community service requirements for graduation; accessed 14 August 2008
- Fenton HS interscholastic athletic teams
- IHSA record page for Fenton HS
- Image Makers description
- Theater program
- Fenton Academic Team homepage; accessed 16 June 2009
- Colin Brady's bio for Fenton HS's Wall of Fame; retrieved 13 August 2008
- Colin Brady filmography @imdb.com; retrieved 13 August 2008
- Daren Dochterman's bio for Fenton's Wall of Fame; retrieved 13 August 2008
- Daren Dochterman filmography @imdb.com; retrieved 13 August 2008
- Jim Spivey's bio for Fenton HS's Wall of Fame; retrieved 13 August 2008
- Dr. Audrey Wagner's bio for Fenton HS's Wall of Fame; retrieved 13 August 2008
- AAGPL records page @aagpl.org; retrieved 13 August 2008
- Tool belt unlocked HGTV career for Wood Dale native, Daily Herald, 9/14/2011
- Lloyd is Bulls' eye for talent; retrieved 10 July 2012
- Orlando Magic Hire Scott Perry, Matt Lloyd for Front Office Positions; retrieved July 10 2012