The son of a singer, he appeared in the Paris Opéra chorus in 1818. He made his debut as a soloist in Grétry's Anacréon chez Polycrate on 15 March 1824. He enjoyed a long career creating a number of minor roles in important operas. He sometimes sang in the same performances with his son Alexis Prévôt (a bass) and/or Alexandre Prévôt (also a bass). Since first names are sometimes not given in the sources, it is not always possible to determine which singer is meant.
- Adam in the revised version of La mort d'Abel by Rodolphe Kreutzer, 17 March 1823
- Omar in Le siège de Corinthe by Gioachino Rossini, 9 October 1826
- 4th Knight in Le comte Ory by Gioachino Rossini, 20 August 1828
- Aufide in Moïse et Pharaon (French version of Mosè in Egitto) by Gioachino Rossini, 26 March 1827
- Selva in La muette de Portici by Daniel Auber, 29 February 1828
- Leuthold in William Tell by Gioachino Rossini, 3 August 1829
- Armfelt in Gustave III by Daniel Auber, 27 February 1833
- First man of the people in La Juive by Fromental Halévy, 23 February 1835
- Méru in Les Huguenots by Giacomo Meyerbeer, 29 February 1836
- Téobaldo in Guido et Ginevra by Halévy, 5 March 1838
- Bernardino in Benvenuto Cellini by Hector Berlioz, 10 September 1838
- Fritz in Le lac des fées by Daniel Auber, 1 April 1839
- Herald of arms in La reine de Chypre by Halévy, 22 December 1841
- Barlow in Le vaisseau fantôme by Louis Dietsch, 9 November 1842
- Jullien, Adolphe (1888). Hector Berlioz: Sa Vie et ses oeuvres (in French). Paris: Librairie de l'Art. View at Google Books.
- Kutsch, K. J.; Riemens, Leo (2003). Grosses Sängerlexikon (fourth edition, in German). Munich: K. G. Saur. ISBN 9783598115981.
- Pierre, Constant, editor (1900). Le Conservatoire national de musique et de déclamation. Documents historiques et administratifs. Paris: Imprimerie National. 1031 pages. View at Google Books.
- Shulmann, Laurie C (1992), 'Prévôt, Ferdinand' in The New Grove Dictionary of Opera, edited by Stanley Sadie (London) ISBN 0333734327.