Ferenc Esterházy (1533–1604)
|Lord of Galántha|
Ferenc Esterházy de Galántha
1604 (aged 70–71)|
Galántha, Kingdom of Hungary
(today: Galanta, Slovakia)
|Noble family||House of Esterházy|
|Spouse(s)||Zsófia Illésházy de Illésháza (1566–1599)|
|Father||Benedek Zerhas de Zerhashaz|
|Mother||Ilona Bessenyei de Galántha|
Ferenc Esterházy de Galántha (English: Francis Esterházy of Galántha; 1533–1604) was a Hungarian noble, who served as Vice-ispán (Viscount; vicecomes) of Pozsony County since 1579. He was the ancestor of the wealthy and prestigious House of Esterházy.
His parents were Benedek Zerhas de Zerhashaz (or Eszterhas), from the kindred of Salamon, and Ilona Bessenyei de Galántha. He was the first from his family who used the title of "Galántha" (galánthai) when he inherited the lordship of Galánta (today: Galanta, Slovakia) from his mother. Following his father's death in 1553, he built a Renaissance-style mansion in 1600. Another, Neo-Gothic castle situated in the town built by two of his sons, Dániel and Pál in 1633.
Ferenc participated in the 1596 campaign against the Ottoman Empire. He served in the army under commander Count Miklós Pálffy. His son, István was killed in the Battle of Keresztes on 26 October 1596.
- Magdolna (26 January 1567 – 1 September 1616), married to László Kubinyi de Felsőkubin et Nagyolaszi (d. 1598)
- Ferenc I (b. 18 July 1568), died young
- Tamás (8 May 1570 – 1615 or 1616)
- István (4 March 1572 – 26 October 1596), died in the Battle of Keresztes
- János (b. 1574), died young
- Ferenc II (b. 1576), died young
- Farkas (1577 – 25 August 1643)
- Zsófia (29 October 1578 – 7 May 1620), married to Márton Révay de Riva et Trebosztó (1565–1630), who served as Vice-ispán of Turóc County
- Gábor (8 October 1580 – 28 December 1626), received the title of Baron in 1613
- Miklós (8 April 1583 – 11 September 1645), received the title of Baron in 1613, the title of Count in 1626, founder of the Fraknó branch, Palatine of Hungary (1625–1645), ancestor of the Princely House of Esterházy
- Dániel (26 July 1585 – 14 June 1654), received the title of Baron in 1613, founder of the Csesznek branch
- Pál (1 February 1587 – 17 January 1645), received the title of Baron in 1613, founder of the Zólyom branch
- Anna (22 May 1590 – 1638), married Count János Kéry de Kiskér, who served as Vice-ispán of Zólyom County
- Berényi, László (2000). "Esterházy Ferenc alispán". Turul. Hungarian Heraldry and Genealogical Society. 73 (3–4): 93–96.
- Pálffy, Géza (2009). "Pozsony megyéből a Magyar Királyság élére. Karrierlehetőségek a magyar arisztokráciában a 16–17. század fordulóján (Az Esterházy, a Pálffy és az Illésházy család felemelkedése)". Századok. Magyar Történelmi Társulat. 143 (4): 853–882.