O'Dowd in 2013
|Minister of State for the NewEra Project|
10 March 2011 – 15 July 2014
|Preceded by||New office|
|Succeeded by||Office abolished|
September 1997 – May 2002
1 September 1948 |
Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland
|Political party||Fine Gael|
Fergus O'Dowd (born 1 September 1948) is an Irish Fine Gael politician. He is a Teachta Dála (TD) for the Louth constituency, and previously served as the Minister of State for the NewEra Project.
O'Dowd was born in Thurles, County Tipperary. He was educated by the Christian Brothers in Drogheda, County Louth. He currently lives in the town. He served three terms as Chairman of Drogheda Town Council: 1977–78, 1981–82 and 1994–95. He served on Louth County Council between 1979 and 2003.
O'Dowd is married to Agnes O'Dowd and they have three sons. He is a brother of Niall O'Dowd, publisher of the Irish Voice newspaper in New York City. Another brother, Michael O'Dowd, ran against him for Renua at the 2016 general election. Yet another brother lives in France.
A teacher before entering politics, O'Dowd was elected to Seanad Éireann on the Administrative Panel in 1997. He was first elected to Dáil Éireann at the 2002 general election, on his fourth attempt. He was immediately appointed Fine Gael spokesperson for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. He was party spokesperson on Environment, Heritage and Local Government from 2004 to 2007, and on Transport and Marine from 2007 to 2010. In June 2010, he supported Richard Bruton's leadership challenge to Enda Kenny. Following Kenny's victory in a motion of confidence, O'Dowd was appointed as party spokesperson on Education and Skills.
- "Mr. Fergus O'Dowd". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- Government economic stimulus plan
- "Drumm says words taken out of context". Sunday Independent. 30 June 2013.
- "A Fine Gael TD is being challenged by his own brother: Michael O'Dowd is running for Renua against his brother, former minister Fergus O'Dowd". TheJournal.ie. 28 September 2015.
- O'Dowd, Fergus. Tonight with Vincent Browne. 22 March 2016.
- "Fergus O'Dowd". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 12 October 2009.
- "Bruton & Noonan return to Fine Gael frontbench". RTÉ News. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "Simon Harris among new Ministers of State". RTÉ News. 15 July 2014.
|Fine Gael Teachta Dála for Louth
|New office||Minister of State for the NewEra Project