Ferguson Action (previously known as Ferguson October) is an organized social movement that uses protests and resistance to oppose police violence in the United States. The movement became notable after organizing protests that gained national attention following the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri in 2014. In October 2014, the movement organized a four-day event, called the Weekend of Resistance, in which more than 1000 protestors from across the United States marched in downtown St. Louis.
Ferguson October was organized by the Organization for Black Struggle, Hands Up United, Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment and local activists including Tef Poe, Taurean Russell and Ashley Yates. Several other activist groups from across the United States supported the effort with rallies in their cities. One of the movement's objectives is for police officer Darren Wilson to be criminally charged for the shooting death of Michael Brown.
In November 2014, Ferguson October was relaunched as Ferguson Action and coordinated a series of actions across the country after the Grand Jury declined to indict Officer Wilson. Over 200+ actions have taken place.
- "We Are a Movement Moment". fergusonoctober.com. Archived from the original on October 13, 2014. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Zeleny, Jeff (October 11, 2014). "Thousands March in St. Louis Protesting Police Killings". ABC News. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Mosendz, Polly (October 10, 2014). "The Unrest and Arrests in St. Louis". The Atlantic. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "Ferguson October Protests Gain Steam On Second Day". Huffington Post. October 11, 2014. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Lowery, Wesley (October 11, 2014). "Powerful images as massive Ferguson protests kick off peacefully". Washington Post. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Alcindor, Yamiche (October 12, 2014). "Protests peaceful as questions about deaths loom". USA Today. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Pearce, Matt (October 11, 2014). "St. Louis' pride and unrest: Cardinals October vs. 'Ferguson October'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Martinez, Michael; Kirkos, Bill; Elam, Stephanie (October 12, 2014). "Mom, daughter trek 750 miles on $100 budget to join 'Weekend of Resistance'". CNN. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "Ferguson October: Youth Organizers Plan Weekend of Resistance 2 Months After Death of Michael Brown". Democracy Now!. Retrieved 2015-11-25.
- Lee, Trymaine (October 9, 2014). "Ferguson: A chill in the air before 'Weekend of Resistance'". MSNBC. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- Hobdy, Dominique (October 12, 2014). "Ferguson October Marches Expand on Second Day". Essence. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "Ferguson Action Site". Archived from the original on 2014-12-05.
- "Ferguson Protests Are Coming to Your City". The Atlantic.
|This article about an organization in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|