|Born||1953/1954 (age 65–66)|
|Education||Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in mechanical engineering|
PhD in chemical engineering
|Alma mater||Istanbul Technical University|
Technical University of Nova Scotia
President and vice-chancellor of the University of Waterloo
|Spouse(s)||Cathy Hamdullahpur (née Johnson)|
|Children||2 sons (Brian, Kevin) |
|Awards||Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal|
Feridun Hamdullahpur (born 1953 or 1954) is the president and vice-chancellor of the University of Waterloo. Hamdullahpur was named the seventh president of the University of Waterloo in March 2011.
Hamdullahpur was born in Turkey to an Iranian father and a Turk mother. He is the youngest of five brothers. His businessman father, Nasri, died of liver disease before Hamdullahpur turned one. His mother, Merziye, raised her five sons in Turkey. He moved from Turkey to Nova Scotia in 1981 where met his wife, Cathy. Cathy was 21, a fourth-year nursing student at Dalhousie University. They married in Halifax on June 28, 1985 and later traveled to Turkey for a small ceremony with family.
Hamdullahpur attended the Istanbul Technical University earning his undergraduate degree and his master's in mechanical engineering. He moved to Canada to do a PhD at the Technical University of Nova Scotia, which is now part of Dalhousie University.
Prior to being appointed President, Hamdullahpur was Waterloo's Vice President Academic and Provost, a role which he held for just over a year before being appointed interim President. Prior to this, Hamdullahpur held various roles at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- "Feridun Hamdullahpur prepares to lead UW into the future". Waterloo Region Record. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Waterloo president living in student housing". University of Waterloo. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- University of Waterloo. "The Hamdullahpur era begins today". Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- University of Waterloo. "Feridun Hamdullahpur named University of Waterloo President & Vice-Chancellor". Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- Council of Ontario Universities. "Feridun Hamdullahpur named University of Waterloo President & Vice-Chancellor". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "UW post is more than a job" (PDF). Grand Magazine. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
|This Turkish academic-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|