Fernandão in 2011
|Full name||Fernando Lúcio da Costa|
|Date of birth||18 March 1978|
|Place of birth||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Date of death||7 June 2014(aged 36)|
|Place of death||Aruanã, Brazil|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|2004||→ Toulouse (loan)||16||(3)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of September 5, 2010|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of January 29, 2010
Having started his career at Goiás of Goiânia, Fernandão had a four-year spell in France, initially moving to Marseille for R$1.4 million, before returning to Brazil to play for Internacional. He helped the club finish as runners-up in the 2005 season of the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. In the same year, he had his first cap against Guatemala and made an assist for forward Fred to score a goal.
2006 was arguably Fernandão's best year. He led Sport Club Internacional to win the Copa Libertadores for the first time ever. Fernandão was a joint top scorer of the competition and was voted man of the Match in the final against São Paulo, match in which he scored one goal and made one assist. After the win, he extended his contract with Sport Club Internacional and skippered the club to win the FIFA Club World Cup in December. In May 2010 the same Brazilian club São Paulo FC announced the signing of striker Fernandão of Goiás for an undisclosed fee. In May 2011 the two sides agreed to terminate the playing contract between them in a friendly manner.
On 7 June 2014, Fernandão, at the age of 36, died in a helicopter crash. The Eurocopter AS350 where he was with four more people crashed by around 1 a.m. in Aruanã, Goiás, Brazil. All occupants were found dead.
- Copa Centro-Oeste: 2000, 2001
- Campeonato Goiano: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 e 2000
- Campeonato Gaúcho: 2005, 2008
- Copa Libertadores de América: 2006
- FIFA Club World Cup: 2006
- Recopa Sudamericana: 2007
- Dubai Cup: 2008
- "Fernandão" (in Portuguese). Futpédia. Archived from the original on 10 March 2009. Retrieved 22 June 2009.
- sambafoot Archived June 29, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
- "internacional.com.br" (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on October 28, 2007.
- "Fernandão e Washington podem jogar juntos sim"
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-24. Retrieved 2012-07-20.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Fernandão é demitido do comando técnico do Internacional
- Bonn, Kyle (7 June 2014). "Former Internacional striker Fernandão dies in helicopter crash". NBC Sports. Retrieved 7 June 2014.
- "Fernandão, ídolo do Internacional, morre aos 36 anos". Diario Da Amazonia. 7 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Campeão, São Paulo domina a seleção do Brasileiro" (in Portuguese). Terra. December 4, 2006. Retrieved June 21, 2009.
- "Bola de Prata (Placar Magazine)". RSSSF. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- Fernandão – official website (in Portuguese)