Fernando Paternoster with Racing Club
|Full name||Fernando Paternoster|
|Date of birth||24 May 1903|
|Place of birth||Pehuajó, Argentina|
|Date of death||6 June 1967(aged 64)|
|Place of death||Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Playing position||Left Back|
|1930–1931||→ Vélez Sársfield (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
Fernando Paternoster (24 May 1903 – 6 June 1967) was an Argentine footballer and manager. He played for the Argentine national team and helped promote football across South America in countries such as Colombia and Ecuador.
In 1926 Paternoster joined Racing Club de Avellaneda where he played until 1932. Between 1930 and 1931, he was loaned for free by Racing to Vélez Sársfield to play for the club in a Pan-American tour that took them from Chile to the United States.
In 1936 he made a single appearance for Argentinos Juniors.
Paternoster was part of the Argentina squad that finished runner-up to Uruguay in the 1928 Olympic football tournament. He played in the 1929 South American Championship, helping Argentina win the title. In 1930 he was again in an Argentine team that finished as runner up to Uruguay, this time in the 1930 FIFA World Cup. He made a total of 16 appearances for Argentina.
Paternoster became the coach of Colombian team Club Municipal de Deportes in 1937. In 1938, he was selected to become manager of the Colombia national football team. He managed Deportivo Manizales in 1951. In 1954, he led Atlético Nacional to the Colombian league championship. In his later years, he worked to promote football in Ecuador, serving as manager of Emelec in the 1960s. He led the team to the national championship in 1965.
- Atlético Nacional
- Sentimento Bohemio (Spanish)
- "Historia del Club Atlético Vélez Sársfield" (in Spanish). VelezSarsfield.net. Retrieved 2010-10-27.[permanent dead link]
- rsssf: Argentina Copa America squad 1929
- rsssf: Colombia national team coaches
- Serna, Carlos Julio. "Recordando a Fernando Paternóster Giammatteo (Carlos Julio Serna)" [Remembering Fernando Paternóster Giammatteo (Carlos Julio Serna)] (in Spanish). Revista Estadio. Archived from the original on 19 January 2013. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- rsssf: Atlético Nacional
- Emelexista (Spanish)