Mary Mother of the Poor
MMP is a non-profit, tax exempt charitable organization of Catholic religious and lay persons in the US, Canada and the Philippines, founded by Suarez and Father Jeff Shannon.
Father Suarez claims says he discovered his gift of healing at the age of 16. According to Suarez, he saw a paralyzed 60-year-old beggar woman outside Quiapo Church. He asked if she wanted him to pray for her, just to console her. After he prayed, the woman stood up and walked, he said.
On January 11, 2008, Manila Cardinal Archbishop Gaudencio Rosales officiated the celebration of the Mass which started the three-day, 40-hour vigil at Suarez' Batangas City Montemaria mega-shrine. Hundreds of devotees and the sick gathered.
On January 25, 2008, the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP), public affairs head and Caloocan Bishop Deogracias Iñiguez, Jr. stated that while they are happy for Suarez, they will remain "watchful" of his healing Masses and activities. "Few people are given the special gift of healing, and Suarez is one of them. But church officials are still observant," Iñiguez said in a statement posted on the CBCP Web site Thursday night.
On January 26, 2008, 2 died and 7 were rushed (due to exhaustion) to James Gordon Hospital, Olongapo City while waiting for Suarez' healing Mass. Juanito Eleazar, 69, died of a heart attack amid more than 15,000 worshippers having lined-up.
- "Manila Standard".
- "Ministry to the Poor Programs". marymotherofthepoor.org. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- Inquirer, Philippine Daily. "In the Know: Fr. Fernando Suarez".
- abs-cbnnews.com, Bandila (Filipino language), 40-oras na vigil, healing Mass ni Fr. Suarez, dinagsa
- "'Healing' priest returning to RP this month".
- "CBCP keeping eye on healing priest".
- gmanews.tv/video, 2 die of exhaustion while waiting for Fr. Suarez healing Mass - 26 January 2008 (in Filipino)[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fernando Suarez.|