|Born||Fernando Rodríguez Trueba
18 January 1955
|Occupation||Producer, director, screenwriter, actor|
|Years active||1974 –present|
Between 1974 and 1979 he worked as a film critic for Spain's leading daily newspaper El País. In 1980, he founded the monthly film magazine Casablanca, which he edited and directed during its first two years. He is the author of Diccionario (Planeta 1997, Plot 2004, Galaxia Guttenberg 2006) and the editor of Diccionario del Jazz Latino (SGAE, 1998).
Among other awards, he has won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film with Belle Époque in 1994, the Goya Award as Best Director three times and a Silver Bear for Year of Enlightment at the 37th Berlin International Film Festival. Miracle of Candeal won the Goya for Best Documentary, and Chico and Rita won the Goya for Best Feature Animation. In 1999, The Girl of Your Dreams was nominated for the Golden Bear at the 49th Berlin International Film Festival. In 2011 he won the Award of the Hungarian National Student Jury for Chico and Rita at the 7th Festival of European Animated Feature Films and TV Specials.
As a music producer he has won two Grammy Awards and four Latin Grammy Awards.
In September 19, 2015 the filmmaker made the following statement at the National Film Award of Spain ceremony held in the Madrid "I have never seen myself as a Spanish, not even five minutes of my life" "I always thought that in case of war, I would go with the enemy" and "I wished that France have won the war of Independence".
He is the brother of David Trueba and the father of Jonás Trueba.
Filmography as director
- 1980: Ópera prima
- 1982: Mientras el cuerpo aguante
- 1983: Sal gorda
- 1985: Sé infiel y no mires con quién
- 1986: El año de las luces
- 1989: La mujer de tu vida: La mujer inesperada (TV miniseries episode)
- 1989: The Mad Monkey / aka Twisted Obsession (El sueño del mono loco)
- 1992: Belle Époque
- 1995: Two Much
- 1998: The Girl of Your Dreams (La niña de tus ojos)
- 2000: Calle 54 (documentary)
- 2002: The Shanghai Spell (El embrujo de Shanghai)
- 2004: El milagro de Candeal (documentary)
- 2009: El baile de la victoria
- 2010: Chico and Rita
- 2012: The Artist and the Model
- 2016: La reina de España
Discography as music producer
- 2000: Calle 54 (Soundtrack)
- 2002: Lágrimas Negras (Bebo & Cigala')
- 2003: We Could Make Such Beautiful Music Together (Bebo Valdés & Federico Britos)
- 2004: Bebo de Cuba (Bebo Valdés)
- 2005: Bebo (Bebo Valdés)
- 2006: Paz (Niño Josele)
- 2007: Live at the Village Vanguard (Bebo Valdés & Javier Colina)
- 2008: Juntos para siempre (Bebo Valdés & Chucho Valdés)
- 2009: Caribe - Michel Camilo Big Band (Michel Camilo)
- 2010: Española (Niño Josele)
- "The 66th Academy Awards (1994) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Berlinale: 1987 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Berlinale: 1999 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-02-02.
- 10. Kecskeméti Animációs Filmfesztivál 7. Európai Animációs Játékfilm Fesztivál. Kecskeméti Animáció Film Fesztivál. 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fernando Trueba.|