Fernland is an unincorporated community in Mobile County, Alabama, United States. Fernland lies along U.S. Route 90 midway between the towns of Grand Bay to the west and St. Elmo to the east. The community originally formed around a sawmill with its own post office and rail service. During the days of segregation, elementary students attended Grand Bay Elementary School for Colored, which was located in the community. Current high school students attend Alma Bryant High School.
- ^ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ See official state record noting formation of Fernland Saw Mill, online at http://arc-sos.state.al.us/cgi/corpdetail.mbr/detail?corp=742886&page=name&file=
- ^ See discussion in Alba v. Strong, 10 So. 241 (1891) found online at http://books.google.com/books?id=ZTkLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA242&dq=fernland+alabama#v=onepage&q=fernland%20alabama&f=false
- ^ See, U.S. Register Vol. II, 1881, p.353 noting appointment of a postmaster at Fernland in 1881 found online at http://books.google.com/books?id=oJ0vAAAAMAAJ&pg=PT362&dq=fernland+alabama&lr=#v=onepage&q=fernland%20alabama&f=false
- ^ See, Annual Report of the Railroad Commission of Alabama 1911-1912, p. 423, noting service to Fernland, found online at http://books.google.com/books?id=H3ApAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA423&dq=fernland+alabama#v=onepage&q=fernland%20alabama&f=false