|Designer||Flavio Manzoni (Ferrari’s Styling Centre) in collaboration with Pininfarina|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Grand tourer (S)|
|Body style||2-door berlinetta|
|Engine||6.3 L F140 FC V12|
|Transmission||7-speed dual-clutch automated manual|
|Wheelbase||2,720 mm (107 in)|
|Length||4,618 mm (181.8 in)|
|Width||1,942 mm (76.5 in)|
|Height||1,273 mm (50.1 in)|
|Curb weight||1,525 kg (3,362 lb)|
The Ferrari F12berlinetta (also unofficially referred to as the F12 Berlinetta or the F12) is a front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive grand tourer produced by Italian sports car manufacturer Ferrari. The F12berlinetta, debuted at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show, replaces the 599 series grand tourers. The naturally aspirated 6.3 litre Ferrari V12 engine in the F12berlinetta has won the International Engine of the Year Awards 2013 in the Best Performance category and Best Engine above 4.0 litres. The F12berlinetta was named "The Supercar of the Year 2012" by car magazine Top Gear.
The F12berlinetta uses a 6,262 cc (382 cu in), naturally aspirated 65° V12 engine of the Ferrari F140 engine family. Engine displacement is shared with the FF, but the F140 FC version installed on the F12 produces 740 PS (544 kW; 730 hp) at 8250 rpm and 690 N·m (509 lb·ft) of torque at 6000 rpm, making it the most powerful Ferrari roadcar to date, only surpassed by LaFerrari. This allows the F12berlinetta to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in an officially reported 3.1 seconds, 0 to 200 km/h (120 mph) in 8.5 seconds and a top speed of 227 mph (365 km/h).
The engine of the F12berlinetta has been designed to be more efficient than that of the 599, as well as more powerful. The engine management system is fitted with Ferrari's HELE start-stop system to reduce fuel consumption when idling. Ferrari reports that the F12berlinetta can achieve 18 mpg-imp (15.7 L/100 km; 15.0 mpg-US) – a 30% improvement over the 599 – and produces CO2 emissions of 350 g/km.
Similar to the California, 458 Italia, FF and LaFerrari, the F12berlinetta transmits power through a 7-speed dual-clutch automated semi-automatic gearbox operated by the driver using paddle shifters behind the steering wheel. Compared to similar models, the F12berlinetta uses shortened gear ratios to match the power of the engine.
The F12berlinetta is built around an aluminium space frame chassis co-developed with Scaglietti. The chassis is made up of 12 different aluminium alloys and improves structural rigidity by 20% over the 599, whilst reducing weight by 70 kg (150 lb). The centre of gravity has been lowered by around 25 mm (1 in). The F12berlinetta's weight distribution is 48% front, 52% rear.
Similar to other contemporary Ferrari models, the F12berlinetta uses Ferrari's third generation CCM3 carbon ceramic disc brakes with ABS, SCM-E magnetorheological suspension, an electronic LSD, ESP Premium stability control and F1-Trac traction control. The car's stability and traction control, suspension and other settings are controlled by the Manettino dial mounted on the steering wheel.
The F12berlinetta makes use of aerodynamic techniques based on Ferrari's 599XX and Formula One programmes, developed with wind tunnel and CFD testing. A notable feature is the Aero Bridge, an air channel running from the bonnet, through the flanks and along the sides of the vehicle, creating an effect that increases downforce. Another feature is Active Brake Cooling ducts, which open to direct cooling air only when the brakes are hot, keeping them closed at other times to reduce aerodynamic drag. The F12berlinetta produces 200 kg (440 lb) of downforce at 200 km/h (120 mph) – an increase of 76% over the 599 GTB – and has a drag coefficient of 0.299.
Ferrari reports that the F12berlinetta is capable of lapping the Fiorano test circuit in 1 minute, 23 seconds; three seconds slower than LaFerrari, a full second faster than the 599 GTO, two seconds faster than the Enzo, two seconds faster than the 458 Italia, three seconds faster than the 430 Scuderia and three and a half seconds faster than the 599 GTB.
The body of the F12berlinetta is designed by the Ferrari Styling Centre and Pininfarina, and shares some styling elements with other recent Ferrari models. This includes a front grille similar to the FF and headlights shared with the FF and 458 Italia. The interior, based on the FF, features new "Frau leather" upholstery with aluminium, Alutex, and carbon fibre trim, and has increased luggage space compared to the 599.
One-offs and specials
Ferrari F12 TRS
The F12 TRS is a unique one-off with a red barchetta body based on the F12berlinetta, made for a customer by Ferrari under its Special Projects programme. It made its public debut in Sicily at Ferrari Cavalcade in June 2014. Designed in-house by the Centro Stile Ferrari headed by Flavio Manzoni, it was inspired by the 1957 250 Testa Rossa, reiterpreted in a modern key. The Ferrari F12 TRS also took part to the 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed.
A third F12 TRS was seen at the Ferrari Cavalcade in June 2015, finished in a chrome grey paint and featuring redesigned front bumper, headlights, mirrors and rear diffuser.
Ferrari SP America
The Ferrari SP America is a F12berlinetta-based one-off coupé completed in 2014, like the F12 TRS an offspring of Ferrari's Special Projects programme.
Ferrari F60 America
The Ferrari F60 America is a limited production roadster derivative of the F12, celebrating 60 years of Ferrari in North America. It was built by Ferrari in ten examples, according to the manufacturer all already spoken for at the time of the car's public introduction in October 2014. The open-top configuration pays homage to US-only limited production convertible Ferraris of the past, such as the 275 GTS/4 NART Spider. Compared to the F12, the F60 has all-new bodywork; it uses a light removable soft top instead of a conventional convertible top. Each of the ten examples built features an asymmetrical cabin design with red trim for the driver's area and black for the passenger, American flag detailing in the center of the backrests of both seats, and classic blue and white North American Racing Team livery.
Touring Berlinetta Lusso
At the March 2015 Geneva Motor Show Carrozzeria Touring unveiled the Touring Berlinetta Lusso, an one-off two-seater, three-box coupé based on the F12berlinetta. Carrozzeria Touring made the car on a client's request, rebodying the F12 in aluminium alloys and carbon fibre; a small production run of five examples was announced.
- Barlow, Jason (29 February 2012). "It's here: meet the new Ferrari F12 Berlinetta". Top Gear. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Hardy, Sam (29 February 2012). "Ferrari F12 Berlinetta revealed". Auto Express. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "Announcing the F12berlinetta: the fastest Ferrari ever built" (29 February 2012). ferrari.com. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- Pollard, Tim (29 February 2012). "Ferrari F12 Berlinetta (2012) – the 599 supercar". Car Magazine. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Ferrari F12berlinetta : new generation of prancing horse 12 cylinders". Ferrari GT - en-EN. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- Davis, Matt (13 September 2012). "2013 Ferrari F12berlinetta [w/video]". Autoblog. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- Evans, Huw (19 March 2012). "Ferrari F12 Berlinetta Gets Michelin Super Sport Pilot Tires Standard". Auto Guide. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Pollard, Tim (23 June 2014). "Ferrari F12 TRS: the one-off made for 2014 Ferrari Cavalcade". Car (magazine). Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Joseph, Noah (23 June 2014). "Ferrari reveals one-off F12 TRS at Sicily cavalcade homage". autoblog.com. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- Stevens, Mike (30 June 2014). "Ferrari F12 TRS Special Revealed Further At Goodwood Festival Of Speed". themotorreport.com.au. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Gupta, Rohan (20 November 2014). "Ferrari F12 TRS spied in black". thesupercarkids.com. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Deshpande, Nitish (25 June 2015). "Third Ferrari F12 TRS finally spotted". thesupercarkids.com. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Padeanu, Adrian (27 June 2014). "Ferrari SP America photographed from all angles". worldcarfans.com. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Wendler, Andrew (10 October 2014). "Limited-Edition, $2.5-Million Ferrari F60 America Debuts—and Is Already Sold Out l". Car and Driver. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- Ewing, Steven J. (10 October 2014). "Ferrari F60 America is a powerful, exclusive US special". autoblog.com. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- D. C. (4 March 2015). "Touring Superleggera Berlinetta Lusso—A Ginevra debutta la fuoriserie su base F12". quattroruote.it (in Italian). Quattroruote. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ferrari F12berlinetta.|
|« previous — Ferrari road car timeline, 1996–present|
|V8||Rear mid engine, rear wheel drive berlinetta/
|Challenge Stradale||430 Scuderia||458 Speciale|
|V12||Grand tourer||550 Maranello||575M Maranello||599 GTB Fiorano||F12berlinetta|
|2+2 grand tourer||456||456 M||612 Scaglietti||FF|
|Limited production supercar||F50||Enzo||LaFerrari|