|Designer(s)||Mario Almondo (Executive Technical Director)|
Aldo Costa (Technical Director)
Nikolas Tombazis (Chief Designer)
Marco Fainello (Head of Vehicle Performance)
Tiziano Battistini (Head of Chassis Design)
Simone Resta (Head of R&D)
John Iley (Head of Aerodynamics)
Marco de Luca (Chief Aerodynamicist)
|Chassis||carbon-fibre and honeycomb composite monocoque|
|Suspension (front)||Independent suspension, pushrod activated torsion springs|
|Suspension (rear)||As front|
|Engine||Ferrari Tipo 056 2008 2398cc V8 (90°) naturally-aspirated mid-engine|
|Transmission||Ferrari 7 speeds + reverse Semiautomatic sequential, electronically controlled, longitudinal gearbox, quick-shift Limited-slip differential|
|Power||750-800 hp @ 19,000 rpm-limited|
|Weight||605 kg (1,333.8 lb) (including driver)|
|Fuel||Shell V-Power ULG 64 Fuel|
Shell SL-1098 Lubricant
BBS Wheels (front and rear): 13"
|Notable entrants||Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro|
|Notable drivers||1. Kimi Räikkönen|
2. Felipe Massa
|Debut||2008 Australian Grand Prix|
|Constructors' Championships||1 (2008)|
The Ferrari F2008 is a Formula One motor racing car that was constructed by Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro to compete in the 2008 Formula One World Championship. The car was driven by 2007 World Champion Kimi Räikkönen and Felipe Massa, who both remained with the team for a second and third season, respectively.
The chassis was designed by Aldo Costa, Simone Resta, Tiziano Battistini, Marco Fainello, John Iley and Marco de Luca with Mario Almondo playing a vital role in leading the production of the car as the team's Executive Technical Director and with Giles Simon in charge of the engine and electronics division assisted by David Salters (engine design and development) and Mattia Binotto (engine operations).
The car was unveiled to the public on January 6, 2008. It features a new standard Electronic Control Unit (ECU), which is the electronic system that controls all the cars, produced by McLaren Electronic Systems. This was included to comply with the new regulations. The ECU also removes most of the driver aids used in previous seasons, including traction control, engine braking, and electronically-assisted starting system. It also makes the management of the differential, engine, and gear changes easier.
The car also weighs more than last season's F2007 chassis due to rule changes which include the gearbox which has to be used for four consecutive races, higher side protection around the driver's helmet, etc.
As of the 2021 season, the F2008 remains the most recent Ferrari Formula 1 car to win the World Constructors' Championship.
Incidents and accidents
- In the 2008 Australian Grand Prix, Felipe Massa suffered nose cone and front wing damage after an incident with David Coulthard; Kimi Räikkönen's engine failed at the end of the race, forcing him to retire.
- In the 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix, Massa spun in the first sector, forcing him to retire.
- In the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix, Räikkönen lost his front wing after sliding into the back of Adrian Sutil at the Nouvelle chicane.
- In the 2008 Canadian Grand Prix, Räikkönen lost his rear wing in the pit lane, after Lewis Hamilton collided with him while the red light still on.
- In the 2008 Hungarian Grand Prix, Massa's engine failed without warning, forcing him to retire from the lead with three laps remaining.
- In the 2008 European Grand Prix, Räikkönen was unsafely released from his pit box with the fuel hose still attached. His engine failed several laps later, forcing him to retire.
- In the 2008 Belgian Grand Prix, Räikkönen suffered front wing damage after running wide then spinning before the chicane.
- In the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, Massa was unsafely released from his pit box with the fuel hose still attached; Räikkönen suffered a suspension problem then hit the wall in the kerbs.
- In the 2008 Japanese Grand Prix, Massa collided with Hamilton on the second lap.
Felipe Massa driving for Ferrari at the 2008 Canadian GP.
Räikkönen's damaged F2008 is brought back to the pits after the Finn crashed with two laps to go in the 2008 Belgian GP.
Complete Formula One results
(key) (results in bold indicate pole position; results in italics indicate fastest lap)
|2008||Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro||Ferrari 056 2.4 V8||B||AUS||MAL||BHR||ESP||TUR||MON||CAN||FRA||GBR||GER||HUN||EUR||BEL||ITA||SIN||JPN||CHN||BRA||172||1st|
† Driver did not finish the Grand Prix but was classified as he completed over 90% of the race distance.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ferrari F2008.|