Ferry Street–Thorofare Canal bridge
Ferry Street Bridge
|Location||Ferry Street over Thorofare Canal, Grosse Ile, Michigan|
|Area||0.9 acres (0.36 ha)|
|Architect||Wayne County Road Commission|
|Architectural style||concrete slab|
|MPS||Highway Bridges of Michigan MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||00000118|
|Added to NRHP||February 18, 2000|
The Ferry Street Bridge or Ferry Street–Thorofare Canal bridge is a bridge located at Ferry Street over the Thorofare Canal in Grosse Ile, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
In 1947, the Wayne County Road Commission replaced the 85-foot (26 m) Pratt truss bridge that had previously spanned the Thorofare Canal with the current structure.
The Ferry Street Bridge has a main span length of 26 feet (7.9 m), a structure length of 95 feet (29 m), a roadway width of 36 feet (11 m), and a structure width of 28 feet (8.5 m). The railings are solid concrete, and marble plates mounted at the northeast and southeast corners of the bridge note that the bridge is Job 413 of the Wayne County Road Commission. Three bents with square concrete posts support the bridge. The bridge is a continuous concrete slab, used by the road commission during World War II and immediately after, presumably due to the difficulty of obtaining steel. The bridge is considered a good representative example of this type of bridge, retaining high integrity.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Staff. "Ferry Street Bridge". State Historic Preservation Office. Michigan State Housing Development Authority. Archived from the original on May 17, 2012. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- Staff (May 16, 2002). "Ferry Street–Thorofare Canal". Historic Bridges. Michigan Department of Transportation. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
- "Ferry Road Bridge". HistoricBridges.org. Retrieved August 27, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Thorofare Canal Bridge.|
- Ferry Road Bridge from HistoricBridges.org: Multiple photographs of the bridge