This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Initial release||May 2007|
|Operating system||Android, iOS, J2ME, OS X, Symbian, Windows, Windows Phone|
|Available in||Chinese (Simplified & Traditional)|
Fetion (Chinese:飞信, pinyin: fēi xìn, lit. flying letter) is an instant messaging (IM) client developed by China Mobile, a Chinese telecommunications company. It allows users to send and receive SMS free of charge between PCs and mobile phones (in certain conditions[specify]). China Mobile [speculation?] to develop Fetion into a comprehensive communications service which will focus on wireless communications and offer the Internet applications as a complement. D-media Communication Tech (a subsidiary company of Ultrapower Software Co., Ltd) undertakes construction, operation and maintain of Fetion.
Shenzhou Taiyue (SZSE: 300002) was originally the only supplier of the outsourcing development, operation and support for Fetion. However, every time the company attempted to renew its contract with China Mobile, it was hit with rumours of insider trading, contract terminations and unstable performance resulting in sharp fluctuations in its share price. China Mobile subsequently put four sub-projects out to tender and Shenzhou Taiyue lost its monopoly.
Rumoured to have been called "Femoo" before launch, the product was renamed "Fetion", since in Chinese "Femoo" sounds like the word for "tomb" (坟墓; fénmù) and has negative connotations. In 2012 the service had around 90 million active users and income of around 300 million renminbi. Providers of over-the-top content (OTT) have complained that Fetion has failed to address the fee structure changes required to counter competition from other services including WeChat.
- Comparison of cross-platform instant messaging clients
- Comparison of instant messaging protocols
- Comparison of Internet Relay Chat clients
- Comparison of LAN messengers
- Comparison of VoIP software
- List of SIP software
- List of video telecommunication services and product brands
- "独享"飞信的历史不再 神州泰岳转型谋新突破 ["Exclusive" Fetion No Longer Seeking Breakthrough on Shenzhou Taiyue Agreement] (in Chinese). Eastmoney.com. 2013-05-09. Retrieved 2014-07-07.
- 飞信渐被边缘化运营模式须突破 [Feitian Must Gradually Overcome Marginalization Issues]. NetEase (in Chinese). 2012-08-20. Missing or empty
- 中国运营商仍延续对抗思维飞信衰败在所难免 [China's Mobile Infrastructure Operator Remains Confrontational: Decline of Fetian Unavoidable]. Sohu (in Chinese). 2013-04-01. Missing or empty
- Official Site
- China Mobile Begins Fetion Commercial Service - ChinaTechNews.com
- SMS Sender Using Fetion ( PHP Script )
- PHP Fetion on Google Code
- Fetion protocol plugin for Pidgin, a cross-platform free software IM client