This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shekhar Kammula|
Dil Raju |
|Written by||Shekhar Kammula|
|Screenplay by||Shekhar Kammula|
|Cinematography||Vijay C. Kumar|
|Edited by||Marthand K. Venkatesh|
Fidaa (translation: Flattered) is a 2017 Indian Telugu-language romantic film written and directed by Sekhar Kammula. It features Varun Tej and Sai Pallavi in the lead roles which marks the latter's debut in Telugu. It is dubbed into Malayalam under the same title.  Principal photography commenced in August 2016. The film won four Filmfare Awards.
Varun(Varun Tej) is a non-resident Indian who lives in Texas, United States of America with his elder brother Raju (Raja Chembolu) and adopted, younger brother Bujji (Aryan). He is a medical student aiming to become a neurosurgeon. Varun comes to India along with his younger brother for Raju's marriage to Renuka (Sharanya Pradeep), whose family hails from Banswada in Telangana. There he meets Bhanumathi (Sai Pallavi), Renuka's younger sister. Bhanu is a beautiful and naughty girl who doesn't want to feel secondary to anyone. Gradually Varun and Bhanu develop a liking for each other but don't express it. Bhanu loves her father very dearly and doesn't believe in leaving him after her marriage. One day, she overhears Varun talking to his cousin Shailu (Manisha Eerabathini) about the opportunities in USA compared to India which he deems unfit for settling. Worse, his reference to a marriage between Shailu and her boyfriend is misconstrued by Bhanu as being between Varun and Shailu and so she feels cheated and misled by Varun. Heartbroken, Bhanu decides to forget Varun and kill her feelings for him and starts to ignore him. After his brother's marriage, Varun returns to USA but can't stop thinking about Bhanu all the time. He decides to confess his love to her. But Bhanumathi gives him a rude answer which enrages Varun creating a rift between them that widens further due to subsequent rude behaviors from both of them. Bhanu finally agrees to marry a man of her father's choice but realizes she isn't comfortable with him even before marriage.
Meanwhile, Renuka becomes pregnant and is advised bed rest by the doctors. Bhanu is sent to USA by her father to help Renuka cope up with the pregnancy. Varun starts being inconsiderate towards Bhanu during her stay with them. This disturbs Bhanu and an argument ensues between them after which she decides to leave for India in a week. Before leaving, Bhanu decides to visit her friend in USA and Varun is asked to drop Bhanu at her friend's place. On the way when Varun drops her at a bus stop so she can take a bus, both have their final fight. Realizing he has hurt her, Varun makes amends and confesses to Bhanu how deeply he loves her and cannot imagine his life with anyone else and that his bad behavior towards her was but a dirty mask to try and get rid of, albeit unsuccessfully, his feelings for her, but since he seeks her happiness, will respect and value her going forward. They then decide to stay as friends and he offers to show her America. It is during this cross-country USA roadtrip that Bhanu realizes how deep Varun's love for her is and she also rediscovers her own deep feelings for him! Before leaving for India, at the airport, Bhanu runs to Varun and hugs him with tearful eyes. Varun understands that Bhanu still loves him and a few days later goes to India to ask for her hand in marriage. Bhanu's father who comes to know of their feelings for each other, advises her to follow her heart and marry Varun instead of the man he chose to which she agrees. Though she is happy that she is getting married to Varun, she is apprehensive about leaving her father and her village. After the wedding ceremony, Bhanu starts packing her luggage to leave for the USA. Renuka then tells her the truth that Varun actually gave up his life in the US and his medical seat and has decided to settle and practice as a Doctor in their village! Overjoyed, Bhanu runs to Varun and asks him how he could make such a big sacrifice to which he answers that where ever she is, it is his world because he loves her a lot. Varun decides to establish a hospital in the village and both of them live happily ever after.
- Varun Tej as Varun
- Sai Pallavi as Bhanumati
- Raja Chembolu as Raju, Varun's elder brother
- Saranya Pradeep as Renuka, Bhanumati's elder sister
- Aryan Talla as Bujji, Varun's younger brother
- Sai Chand as Bhanumati and Renuka's father
- Geeta Bhaskar as Bhanumati and Renuka's aunt
- Satyam Rajesh as Ali, Varun's friend
- Harshvardhan Rane as Bhanumati's neighbor/suitor (cameo)
- Gayathri Gupta as Sumathi, Bhanumati's friend
- Manisha Eerabathini as Varun's cousin Shailu
- Katarina Richter as Suzie
- Nathan Smales
- Lydia Pagan
- Sri Harsha Jasti
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Telugu - Sai Pallavi
- Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer – Telugu - Hemachandra for Oosupodhu
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer – Telugu - Madhu Priya for Vachchinde
- Filmfare Award for Best Dance Choreographer - South - Sekhar VJ
- Filmfare Award for Best Film - Telugu - Fidaa
- Filmfare Award for Best Director - Telugu - Sekhar Kammula
- Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress - Telugu - Saranya Pradeep
- Filmfare Award for Best Music Director - Telugu - Shakti Kanth
- Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist - Telugu - Chaitanya Pingali
The film's music is scored by music director Shakthikanth Karthick, who also composed music for the Telugu movie Ko Antey Koti. The song "Hey Pillagaada" is inspired by an older song "Parugulu Theeyaali" from the movie Malliswari (1951 film).
|1.||"Vachinde"||Suddala Ashok Teja||Madhu Priya, Ramky||5:41|
|2.||"Edo Jarugutondi"||Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry||Aravind Srinivas, Renuka||5:00|
|3.||"Hey Pillagaada"||Vanamali||Sindhuri, Sinov Raj||4:08|
|6.||"Fidaa"||Chaitanya Pingali||Hemachandra, Malavika||5:21|
- "Fidaa (2017) - Fidaa Telugu Movie - Fidaa Review, Cast & Crew, Release Date, Photos, Videos – Filmibeat". FilmiBeat.
- Kavirayani, Suresh (7 August 2016). "Sai Pallavi bags Tollywood project opposite Varun Tej". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "Varun "Tej's Fidaa wraps up first schedule"".
- "Filmfare Awards South 2018 winners' list: SS Rajamouli's Baahubali 2, Fidaa, Aramm win top honours- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "Interview with Sekhar Kammula about Fidaa - Telugu cinema director". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 2018-06-07.