Fidan Doğan in Strasbourg 2012
|Born||17 January 1982|
|Died||January 9, 2013 (aged 30)|
|Cause of death||Execution-style shooting|
|Occupation||Kurdish rights advocate|
Fidan Doğan (born in 1982 in Elbistan in southern Turkey, assassinated 9 January 2013) was a Kurdish activist, who worked at the Kurdish information centre in Paris and also represented the Brussels-based Kurdish National Congress in France.
She was assassinated in Paris on 9 January 2013, along with Sakine Cansız and Leyla Şaylemez. Her funeral was conducted by an Alevi dede. She was buried in her family's village in the province of Kahramanmaraş's Elbistan district.
Tributes after her death revealed that she was well known in political circles, as well as being close to Abdullah Öcalan, one of the founders of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK). The President of the European Parliament, Martin Schulz, made a point of receiving her family to pay his condolences in person. The rapporteur for Turkey of the Council of Europe's Parliamentary Assembly, Josette Durrieu, also paid tribute in glowing terms.
François Hollande's statement that he knew one of the three women assassinated in Paris (which provoked a strong reaction from Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan), raised speculation that Doğan was also in regular contact with the French president.
After her death, there was considerable speculation that the killing of the three women was an attempt to derail the fledgling peace process that had recently begun between the Turkish authorities and Öcalan.
- "Fidan Dogan, l'une des trois militantes kurdes assassinées à Paris a vécu à Strasbourg". France 3. 2013-01-10. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "Kurdish activists shot dead in Paris". The Guardian. 2013-01-10. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- "Turkish PM: killing of 3 Kurdish activists in Paris seems like feud among Kurds". The Washington Post. 2013-01-10. Retrieved 2013-01-12.
- Paris killing victim buried with participation of thousands, Doğan News Agency, dated 18 January 2013.
- "Paris killing victim buried with participation of thousands". Hurriyet. 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "FIDAN DOGAN'S FAMILY INVITED TO EU SESSION IN STRASSBURG". Mesop. 2013-01-15. Retrieved 2013-01-23.[permanent dead link]
- "Assassinat de trois femmes kurdes". The Guardian. 2013-01-17. Archived from the original on 2013-02-17. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "Erdogan queries Hollande links with dead Kurd". Al Jazeera. 2013-01-12. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "ERDOĞAN CALLS ON HOLLANDE TO EXPLAIN WHY HE MET WITH A PKK TERRORIST". Sabah. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-01-23.
- "Kurdistan's Female Fighters". Roj women. 2013-02-15. Archived from the original on 2013-03-16. Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "3 Kurdish women political activists shot dead in Paris". CNN. 2013-01-11. Retrieved 2013-02-17.