This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fifth grade (called Grade 5 in some regions) is a year of education in many nations. The fifth grade is the fifth school year of elementary school. Students are usually 10–11 years old. Depending on the school district, the grade may be in one of the following scenarios: the second to last year or the final year of elementary school, the first year of middle school, the first year of intermediate school, or none of those. Also, in other schools Grade 4 and 5 are one school. In Asian countries like India, fifth grade education is also known as 'class 5' which is usually the last grade of the primary education system.
While courses of study are not regimented nationwide across either country, some conventional expectations of subject matter are generally taught in this grade:
- In mathematics, students usually master long division and work with multiplication of vulgar fractions and decimals. Sometimes this also includes initial exposure to ratios and percentages. Pre-Algebra is sometimes offered as an honors course. Fifth graders may also work more on more advanced long division, such as dividing in the double digits, hundreds, and thousands.
- In language classes the study of grammar begins. This begins as early as the third grade in some schools.
- In social studies, the study of history and geography are furthered. In Ontario, this grade focuses on the history of the student's province (as opposed to fourth grade which covers the student's municipality, and sixth grade which focuses on the country).
- In physical science, the states of matter are introduced, and an introduction to the basics of machines. This could be also introduced as early as the third and fourth grade.
- In life science, the structures and mechanics of plants and animals are illustrated.
- In music, classes may start or continue recorders (sometimes called the flutaphone). The band and choir program usually starts at that age.
- In P.E. (physical education) or health education, schools start sexual education or gender-specific health education. Basic psychology is started to be taught at that age such as the concept of reward and punishment, motivation, and influence.
Throughout Brazil, the ages for elementary school were recently raised from 8 to 9 years, and the minimum age required for the fifth grade was changed from 9 to 10 years old.
In England and Wales it is called "Year 6" and the pupils are usually 10 to 11 years old.
Often it is the seventh year of school; the years being called "Reception", "Year 1", "Year 2", "Year 3", "Year 4", "Year 5" and "Year 6".
Throughout the UK, this is the last year of Primary education before students go on to Secondary School.
In Ireland the equivalent is 5th Class or Rang a cúig for 11-year-olds. It is your second last year in primary school.
Its equivalent is the CM2 (Cours Moyen 2ème année: 2nd year of middle class) last year of primary school.
In Italy, 5th grade corresponds to the fifth and last class of primary school (quinta classe della scuola primaria), previously elementary school (scuola elementare).
However, in NZ some primary schools continue to teach Year 7 and 8, with children continuing straight to High school at Year 9. Intermediate schools, which teach Year 7 through 8, are quite common and in rural areas. Schools can be found teaching all classes from Year 1 to year 13.
In Barbados at 10 to 11 years, students will take a placement edu to determine which secondary school they would attend. This is known as the common entrance examination. Forms 1-3 are called lower secondary school, with ages ranging from 11 to 14 years old. The students do basic subjects.
In India, fifth grade education comes under the primary education after which students are promoted to the middle education level. In some of the states in India, class 5 exam is conducted as the board exams. In India, 5th grade education is managed by the state boards and central boards including CBSE and ICSE
Similar to India, 5th grade education is a part of the primary education system in Pakistan. There are several boards of education (BISE) in Pakistan that operate under the Punjab Education Commission (PEC). PEC is responsible for conducting 5th and 8th grade exams in its affiliated schools.
In Laos, Grade 5 is the last year of elementary school.
- Primary education
- Educational stage
- Education in England
- Education in Scotland
- Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?