|Factorization||2 × 29|
|Divisors||1, 2, 29, 58|
- Messier object M58, a magnitude 11.0 galaxy in the constellation Virgo
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 58, a barred spiral galaxy in the constellation Cetus. It is also the object designated as NGC 47
- John Cage CD "Fifty-Eight"
- Fifty-Eight Now Nine, a collection of songs by Esther Lee
- 58 was the name of a side project involving Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe. They covered the song "Alone Again (Naturally)"
- Band "Spur 58"
- "58 Poems" by Chicago
In the NBA, the most points ever scored in a fourth quarter was 58 by the Buffalo Braves (at Boston Celtics), Oct. 20, 1972. The most points in a game by a rookie player: Wilt Chamberlain, 58: Philadelphia vs. Detroit, Jan. 25, 1960, and Philadelphia vs. New York Knicks, Feb. 21, 1960.
In MotoGP, 58 was the number of Marco Simoncelli who died in an accident at the Malaysian Round of the 2011 MotoGP season. MotoGP's governing body, the FIM, are considering to retire number 58 from use in MotoGP as they did before with the numbers 74 and 48 of Daijiro Kato and Shoya Tomizawa, respectively. The retirement, from all motorcycle racing classes, eventually occurred in 2016, joining Kato's 74, the 34 of inaugural MotoGP champion Kevin Schwantz and the 65 of Loris Capirossi.
The number 58 was commonly associated with misfortune in many civilizations native to either Central America or Southern America. Due to their beliefs in the original 58 sins, the number came to symbolize curses and ill-luck. Aztec oracles supposedly stumbled across the number an unnaturally high number of times before disaster fell. One famous recording of this, though largely discredited as mere folktale, concerned the oracle of Moctezuma II, who allegedly counted 58 pieces of gold scattered before a sacrificial pit the day prior to the arrival of Hernán Cortés.
In other fields
- The Alabama county code for Shelby County
- The Ohio county code for Morgan County
- The code for international direct dial phone calls to Venezuela
- The number of usable cells on a Hexxagon game board
- Book: "58 Lonely Men: Southern Federal Judges and School Desegregation" about 58 judges in the South during the Brown vs. Board of Education decision
- The number of counties in California
- The minimum wind speed (mph) needed to issue a Severe Thunderstorm Warning.
- The number of the French department Nièvre
- In the popular TV show SpongeBob SquarePants, Patrick claims that "58 is like the luckiest number ever."
- 58 Minutes is a book by Walter Wager, on which the film Die Hard 2 was based
- I-58 was the name of one of the Type B3 submarines that fought in World War II. When personified in the free-to-play Japanese video game Kantai Collection, she tends to be called "Goya", from the number's goroawase.
- "Sloane's A051682 : 11-gonal numbers". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "Sloane's A006753 : Smith numbers". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "Sloane's A028442 : Numbers n such that Mertens' function is zero". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-30.
- "Sloane's A005278 : Noncototients". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-30.