Fifty Shades Freed
|Author||E. L. James|
|Cover artist||Isaiah Ogasawara|
|Series||Fifty Shades trilogy|
|Published||17 April 2012 (Vintage Books), (UK) 26 April 2012 (Arrow Books)|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback)|
|Preceded by||Fifty Shades Darker|
|Followed by||Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian|
Fifty Shades Freed is the third and final installment of the erotic romance Fifty Shades Trilogy by British author E. L. James. After accepting entrepreneur CEO Christian Grey's proposal in Fifty Shades Darker, Anastasia Steele must adjust not only to married life but to her new husband's wealthy lifestyle and controlling nature. The paperback edition was first published in April 2012.
Anastasia 'Ana' Steele and Christian Grey return to Seattle after a long honeymoon. Christian is upset to find that Ana has kept her maiden name, Steele, at work. After some resistance, Ana relents and changes her name at work to Grey after realizing how important it is to Christian. As a belated wedding gift, Christian gives Seattle Independent Publishing to Ana, who plans to rename it Grey Publishing.
While Christian is on a business trip in New York, Anastasia goes out for a drink with longtime friend, Kate Kavanagh, doing so against Christian's wishes. Returning home, she finds that her former boss, Jack Hyde, who was fired for attempting to sexually assault Ana, has been apprehended by the security staff. Duct tape is found in his pocket and in his van there are tranquilizers and a ransom note—all indications that he intended to kidnap her. Jack is arrested. Angry with Ana for defying him, Christian cuts short his New York business trip and returns to Seattle. Furious that Ana reneged on her promise to have Kate over rather than go out, an upset Christian sulks while Ana sleeps. Eventually, the two argue and Ana berates him for being overly controlling and possessive. She demands more freedom and access to her friends. Christian finally relents after realizing how much Ana's friends mean to her and that Ana did the right thing by staying with Kate rather than at home. Soon after, Christian surprises her with a trip to Aspen, with Kate, Elliot, Mia, and Kate's brother, Ethan. While there, Elliot proposes to Kate, and she accepts.
Ana's step-father, Ray, is in a medically-induced coma after a car accident. When he awakens a few days later, Ana and Christian arrange to move him to Seattle to recover. It is also Ana's birthday weekend, and Christian surprises her with all her family and friends at a dinner. He gives her a charm bracelet with the charms representing all their "firsts" including an ice cream cone to represent their "vanilla" relationship. Christian also gifts her with an Audi R8. Soon after, Ana learns she is pregnant. Christian angrily accuses her of getting pregnant on purpose and leaves. He returns early the next morning drunk, claiming Ana will choose the baby - whom he believes to be a boy - over him. Ana says it could be a girl, though Christian refuses to accept that due to his sexist and chauvinistic nature. Ana becomes furious when she discovers a text message on Christian's phone from Elena Lincoln, the woman who seduced him when he was fifteen and introduced him to the BDSM lifestyle. The message indicates they met for a drink.
The next two mornings, Anastasia and Christian barely speak to each other: Christian is angry over the unplanned pregnancy; Anastasia is upset about his late-night encounter with Elena, though Christian insists their relationship is long-since over. When Christian is away on a business for a few days, Ana receives a call from Jack Hyde. He has kidnapped Mia Grey and demands $5 million in two hours. He warns Ana not to tell anyone or he will kill Mia.
Anastasia feigns illness and returns home to escape her bodyguard, Sawyer. She takes a gun and goes to the bank. While collecting the money, the suspicious bank manager calls Christian, who believes Ana is leaving him. To protect Mia's life, Ana lies to Christian, saying she is leaving him to raise the baby alone. Hyde instructs Ana to leave her phone but she tricks him by taking the bank manager's phone instead and dropping it in the trash. She leaves via the back entrance to a waiting car, shocked that Hyde's accomplice is Elizabeth Morgan, her co-worker. When handing over the money, Hyde tries to kill Ana out of vengeance for losing his job, causing Elizabeth to feel guilty for being involved. Angered by his behavior and his hurting Ana, she and Hyde argue. On the ground and bruised, Ana shoots Hyde in the leg. When Ana starts to black out she hears Christian calling her name.
Ana wakes three days later in the hospital with Christian at her side. Though he is angry at Ana's recklessness and still anxious about fatherhood, he realizes how important their baby is to her, and they reconcile. Ana returns home the next day. Christian learns from his private investigator, Welch, that he and Hyde had the same foster family. He tells Ana about how he met and was seduced by Elena. By introducing him to the world of BDSM, Elena helped Christian learn to take control of his life. If she had not intervened, he would still be plagued with horrible memories of his mother and would never have been able to control his life. Ana feels guilty for her behavior when he explains that he had been looking for his psychiatrist, Dr. Flynn, because he needed help. When he could not contact Flynn, Christian wound up at Elena's salon needing someone to talk to about his problems. Elena happened to be at the salon while she was closing. She knew Christian and Ana had a fight about the pregnancy. Elena took him to her favorite bar for a drink and help him relax. Although she made a pass at him, Elena realized that Christian loved Ana and finally agrees to leave on good terms. He reassures her that she did the right thing to call him out for his behavior because Dr. Flynn had been right about him and that he still needs a lot of growing up to do.
The next day, a furious Christian discovers from Welsh that Elena's ex-husband, Eric Lincoln, has bailed Jack from jail out of spite for her affair with Christian. Christian tells Ana that after learning about the affair, Eric severely beat Elena and divorced her. Despite Christian's urging, Elena refused to press charges against Eric out of guilt for the affair. Christian retaliated by buying out Eric Lincoln's logging company to sell it off. It is also learned Elizabeth confessed to police that she was blackmailed by Hyde to be his accomplice. (However, her ultimate fate remains a mystery.)
Two years later, Ana and Christian have a son named Theodore Raymond Grey, nicknamed Teddy, and Ana is six months pregnant with their second child, a daughter whom they decide to name Phoebe. Elliot and Kate have married and have a two-month-old daughter named Ava. At the end, after having BDSM sex, Ana and Christian are getting ready to celebrate Teddy's second birthday with their family and friends.
- Anastasia "Ana" Rose Grey: Commissioning Editor at SIP (Seattle Independent Publishing) and wife of Christian Grey.
- Christian Grey: Adoptive son of Dr. Grace Trevelyan-Grey and Carrick Grey. 28-year-old CEO of Grey Enterprise Holdings, Inc and Anastasia's husband.
- Jason Taylor: Christian's most trusted bodyguard and head of Christian's security team.
- Luke Sawyer: Bodyguard in charge of Ana's protection.
- Jack Hyde: Ana's former boss and main antagonist.
- Mia Grey: Adoptive daughter of Carrick Grey and Dr. Grace Trevelyan Grey and younger sister of Christian Grey and Elliot Grey.
- Katherine "Kate" Kavanagh: Ana's best friend and Elliot Grey's wife
- Elliot Grey: Elder brother to Christian Grey and Mia Grey and Katherine's husband
- Elena Lincoln: Grace Trevelyan Grey's former friend and Christian's former Dominant. One of the main antagonists in Fifty Shades Darker
- Dr. Grace Trevelyan-Grey: Christian's adoptive mother.
- Carrick Grey: Christian's adoptive father.
- Ray Steele: Ana's step-father, who adopted Ana and gave her his last name.
- Ethan Kavanagh: Kate Kavanagh's older brother.
- Nishant Mishra: Christian's corporate office's doorman.
- Leila Williams: A former submissive of Christian.
- Elizabeth Morgan: Ana's SIP colleague and accomplice of Jack Hyde.
- Mr. Eric Lincoln: Owner of Lincoln Timbers and Elena's ex-husband.
- Theodore "Teddy" Raymond Grey: Son of Anastasia and Christian Grey.
Sam Taylor-Johnson, the director of the film adaptation of the first installment of the book series, Fifty Shades of Grey, confirmed on 6 February 2015 that both Fifty Shades Freed and the second book in the trilogy, Fifty Shades Darker, would also be adapted for film. In November 2015, Universal Studios announced that both films would be shot back-to-back with principal photography scheduled to commence in early 2016. The film was scheduled to be released on 9 February 2018.
- "Fifty Shades Freed (Fifty Shades #3)". Goodreads. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Best Sellers: Paperback Trade Fiction". The New York Times. 6 May 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Rogers, Simon (9 August 2012). "The top 100 bestselling books of all time: how does Fifty Shades of Grey compare?". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Schumann, Rebecka (6 February 2015). "'Fifty Shades of Grey' Sequels Confirmed; Fans React to 'Fifty Shades Darker' and 'Fifty Shades Freed' Movie Announcement". International Business Times. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (12 November 2015). "'Fifty Shades of Grey' Sequels to Shoot Back-to-Back". Variety. Retrieved 13 November 2015.
- McClintock, Pamela; Ford, Rebecca (23 April 2015). "CinemaCon: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Sequel to Hit Theaters in 2017". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 24 April 2015.