Fifty Shades of Black
|Fifty Shades of Black|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Michael Tiddes|
|Music by||Jim Dooley|
|Edited by||Lawrence Jordan|
|Distributed by||Open Road Films|
|Box office||$22.2 million|
Fifty Shades of Black is a 2016 American comedy film directed by Michael Tiddes and starring Marlon Wayans, who also co-wrote and co-produced the film. The film is a parody of the 2015 erotic romantic drama film Fifty Shades of Grey, and was released theatrically on January 29, 2016. It grossed $22 million at the worldwide box office on a $5 million budget. It was also Florence Henderson's last film before her death on November 24, 2016, which was 10 months after the film was released.
Christian Black introduces shy college student Hannah Steele to the world of "romance" after she interviews him for her school newspaper. Their kinky relationship stumbles forward despite Christian's shortcomings as a lover and the antics of his racist adoptive mother Claire, his well-endowed brother Eli and Hannah's hyper-sexual roommate Kateesha.
- Marlon Wayans as Christian Black
- Kali Hawk as Hannah Steele
- Jenny Zigrino as Kateesha Kavahellnah
- Jane Seymour as Claire Black, Christian's mother
- Fred Willard as Gary Black, Christian's father
- Mike Epps as Ron Steele, Hannah's father
- Irene Choi as Mai Black
- King Bach as Jesse
- Mircea Monroe as Becky
- Affion Crockett as Eli Black
- Kate Miner as Ashley
- Florence Henderson as Mrs. Robinson
- Dave Sheridan as The Great Mysterio
- Russell Peters as Dean Jordan
The film was released in North America on January 29, 2016, alongside Kung Fu Panda 3, The Finest Hours, and Jane Got a Gun. The film was projected to gross $10–11 million from 2,075 theaters in its opening weekend. The film grossed $275,000 from its Thursday night previews, $2.3 million on its first day, and $5.9 million in its opening weekend, finishing 10th at the box office. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray on April 19, 2016.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 7% based on 42 reviews; the average rating is 2.8/10. The site's consensus reads, "Wildly erratic even for a spoof movie, Fifty Shades of Black bears the unfortunate distinction of offering fewer laughs than the unintentionally-funny film it's trying to lampoon." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 28 out of 100 based on 11 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "C" on an A+ to F scale.
Austin film critic Korey Coleman famously ended his review by starting an online petition to stop Marlon Wayans from making any more parody films. He gave it the #1 spot for the worst movie of 2016, tying it with Yoga Hosers.
|Golden Trailer Awards||Best Comedy||"Spanked"||Nominated|||
|Golden Fleece TV Spot||"Shadiest"||Won|
|Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel||Fifty Shades of Black||Nominated|||
|Worst Supporting Actress||Jane Seymour||Nominated|
- "FIFTY SHADES OF BLACK (15)". British Board of Film Classification. February 4, 2016. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- Scott Roxborough (June 16, 2015). "SquareOne Takes Marlon Wayans' 'Fifty Shades' Spoof for Germany". The Hollywood Reporter. (Prometheus Global Media). Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- "Fifty Shades of Black (2016)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Martin, Annie (November 20, 2015). "Trailer released for Marlon Wayans parody 'Fifty Shades of Black'". UPI.
- McNary, Dave (August 11, 2015). "Kali Hawk, Mike Epps Join Marlon Wayans in ‘Fifty Shades of Black’ Spoof". Variety.
- Dave McNary (2015-08-11). "Kali Hawk, Mike Epps Join Marlon Wayans in 'Fifty Shades of Black'". Variety. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Jane Seymour: How Raunchy Is Florence Henderson In 'Fifty Shades Of Black'?".
- Fleming, Mike (2015-06-03). "Marlon Wayans '50 Shades Of Grey' Spoof Heads To Open Road". Deadline. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- Dave McNary (2015-06-03). "Marlon Wayans' 'Fifty Shades' Spoof Bought". Variety. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- Kay, Jeremy (2015-08-11). "Production begins on 'Fifty Shades Of Black' | News | Screen". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "'Kung Fu Panda 3' Will Dig Box Office Out Of The Snow With $40M+ Opening – Preview". deadline.com.
- "'Kung Fu Panda 3' Kicking Up $13M Friday & $44M-$45M Opening Weekend". deadline.com.
- "Fifty Shades of Black DVD Release Date April 19, 2016".
- "Fifty Shades of Black (2016)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Fifty Shades of Black reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 3, 2016.
- "Fifty Shades Of Black reviewed by Mark Kermode". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- Coleman, Korey (January 29, 2016). "Fifty Shades of Black - Review". DoubleToasted.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- Coleman, Korey (December 29, 2016). "Double Toasted's WORST of 2016". DoubleToasted.com. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
- "The 17th Annual Golden Trailer Award Nominees". GoldenTrailer.com. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- "Razzie Winners". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 26, 2017.