|Chairwoman of the Peoples' Democratic Party|
22 June 2014 – 9 March 2017
Serving with Selahattin Demirtaş
|Preceded by||Ertuğrul Kürkçü|
& Sebahat Tuncel
|Succeeded by||Serpil Kemalbay|
|Member of the Grand National Assembly|
7 June 2015 – 21 February 2017
|Constituency||Van (June 2015, Nov 2015)|
|Leader of the Socialist Party of the Oppressed|
29 January 2010 – 7 September 2014
|Preceded by||party established|
|Succeeded by||Sultan Ulusoy|
Figen Yüksekdağ Şenoğlu
|Political party||Socialist Party of the Oppressed|
Peoples' Democratic Party
Figen Yüksekdağ Şenoğlu (born 1971) was a former co-leader of the left-wing Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) of Turkey from 2014 to 2017, serving alongside Selahattin Demirtaş. She was a Member of Parliament for Van since the June 2015 general election until her parliamentary membership was revoked by the courts on 21 February 2017. Her party membership and therefore her co-leadership position were revoked by the courts on 9 March 2017 following a six-year prison sentence for allegedly distributing terrorist propaganda.
Life and work
Figen Yüksekdağ grew up as the ninth of ten children in a rural household in the village Gölovası, Yumurtalık, in the Adana electoral district. She describes her family as devout, conservative and nationalistic. Nevertheless, her father made a point that his daughters were studying and were successful. During her time in high school, she began to engage in political activities and joined the labor movement. When she was arrested on an International Workers' Day demonstration, this led to conflicts in the family. At the age of 18 she left home and went to Istanbul; later the relationship to her family normalized again.
She was an independent parliamentary candidate for the Adana electoral district in the 2002 general election. She was involved in women's rights movements for several years before becoming the editor of the Socialist Woman magazine. While serving on the board of the Atılım newspaper, she was taken into custody in 2009 due to her political activity. She cofounded the Socialist Party of the Oppressed (ESP) shortly after in 2010 and resigned as leader in 2014 to join the HDP, with which the ESP merged later the same year. During the second ordinary congress of the HDP, she was elected the co-leader of the HDP.
- ESP Genel Başkanı; Figen Yüksekdağ
- EZİLENLERİN SOSYALİST PARTİSİ (ESP) Archived 2015-04-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- Laura Secorun Palet (6 April 2015). "Meet Figen Yüksekdağ, Turkey's Political Firestarter". Huffigton Post. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Pinar Tremblay (11 February 2015). "Kurdish women's movement reshapes Turkish politics". Al-Monitor. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- Yvo Fitzherbert (21 July 2015). "Suruç massacre: today we mourn, tomorrow we rebuild". Roar Magazine. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- "ESP'nin Genel Başkanı Bir Kadın: Figen Yüksekdağ - kadın-lgbti". Bianet - Bagimsiz Iletisim Agi.
|This article about a Turkish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|