Fight for the Future
||This article needs to be updated. (July 2015)|
|Type||501(c)(4) non-profit organization|
Fight for the Future (often abbreviated fightfortheftr or FFTF) is a nonprofit advocacy group in the area of digital rights founded in 2011. The group aims to promote causes related to copyright legislation, as well as online privacy and censorship through the use of the Internet.
The organization was founded by Tiffiniy Cheng and Holmes Wilson in October 2011, and is based in Worcester, Massachusetts. Cheng and Wilson were previously involved in Participatory Culture Foundation, a nonprofit in the area of free culture. Initial funding for the organization was provided by Media Democracy Fund.
SOPA and PIPA protests
Fight for the Future was involved in the online protests against the Stop Online Piracy Act and PROTECT IP Act in January 2012. The group was involved in coordinating the action in which a number of websites displayed messages advocating against the proposed bills.
Internet Defense League
Fight for the Future has created the Internet Defense League as a means of coordinating possible future protests, similar to the ones it helped organize in January 2012.
Opposition to WCIT-12
Along with AccessNow.org, the group has launched an online campaign opposing the changes proposed at the 2012 World Conference on International Telecommunications. The organization believes the changes would threaten the openness of the Internet.
Reset the Net
In response to reports of NSA mass surveillance, Fight for the Future called for increased privacy protections on the internet to decrease the efficiency of surveillance efforts. The organization participated in a day of action on June 5, 2014 to protest NSA surveillance.
Opposition to the Trans-Pacific Partnership
In the summer of 2016, Fight for the Future teamed up with musician Tom Morello's label Firebrand Records to launch a Rock Against the TPP multi-city tour, featuring concerts, teach-ins, and protests of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Day of Action to Save Net Neutrality
- Farrell, Michael B. (2012-01-27). "Worcester’s Fight for the Future helped ignite an Internet revolt against antipiracy bills". BostonGlobe.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "Fight for the Future, defending our basic rights and freedoms". Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- Wortham, Jenna (2012-01-19). "Public Outcry Over Antipiracy Bills Began as Grass-Roots Grumbling". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- Sutter, John D. (2012-05-29). "A 'bat signal' to defend the open Internet". CNN.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- McCullagh, Declan (2012-12-12). "U.N. summit rejects U.S., Europe hands-off-the-Internet plea". CNET. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- Zetter, Kim (2014-05-06). "New Movement Aims to ‘Reset the Net’ Against Mass Surveillance". Wired. Retrieved 2014-08-05.
- McCarthy, Kyle (August 18, 2016). "Nationwide “Rock Against the TPP” Celebrity Concert Tour". The Huffington Post. Retrieved September 11, 2016.