Fight or Flight (Hoobastank album)
|Fight or Flight|
|Studio album by Hoobastank|
|Released||September 11, 2012|
|Genre||Post-grunge, alternative rock|
|Label||Open E Entertainment (EMI)|
|Singles from Fight or Flight|
|Under The Gun Review||6.5/10 |
Fight or Flight, is the fifth studio album by American rock band Hoobastank released on September 11, 2012, delayed from prior July 31, 2012 and August 28, 2012 dates. Like their previous album, the album deals with relationships and love themes and it follows a more mainstream sound.
Produced by Gavin Brown, the album features eleven new studio tracks including first single, “This Is Gonna Hurt.” On May 3, 2012 the band revealed the first single on their official website. The release of Fight or Flight marks the band’s newfound independence and the opportunity to move forward on their own terms. “We’ve been on this journey for a long time now,” says singer Doug Robb. “It’s like a clean slate, but not in a bad way—quite the opposite. We’re no longer trying to satisfy others, not even on a subconscious level; we’re comfortable in our own skin.” In July 11, 2012 a tentative cover artwork was revealed in Hoobastank’s Facebook page, but in July 19, 2012 it was changed for the definitive cover artwork.
Fight or Flight received mixed reviews from critics. Pete Crigler of Lithium Magazine stated that "While it’s true that Fight or Flight is better than Hoobastank’s last two releases, it manages to fall short of the record it could have been." Similarly, Alternative Addition stated that "...they could have taken this to an even higher level if they had been willing to up the ante and bring more of an edge to the record by experimenting with heavier and darker musical elements. With that being said, this is still a very good album and one that most fans of the group will appreciate."
|1.||"This Is Gonna Hurt"||3:50|
|2.||"You Before Me"||4:24|
|4.||"Can You Save Me?"||3:55|
|7.||"No Win Situation"||3:46|
|8.||"Sing What You Can't Say"||3:23|
|11.||"A Thousand Words"||4:01|
|Japanese bonus track|
- Doug Robb - vocals, rhythm guitars
- Daniel Estrin - lead guitars, ukulele
- Chris Hesse - drums, percussion
- Jesse Charland - bass, keyboards, backing vocals
- Steve Wood, Paul Geary - management
- Gavin Brown - producer
- Paul David Hager - mixing
|Japanese Albums Chart||18|
|Top Independent Albums||17|
|Top Modern Rock/Alternative Albums||16|
|Top Rock Albums||27|
- Fight or Flight at AllMusic
- "REVIEW: Hoobastank-'Fight or Flight'". Under the Gun Review. September 5, 2012.
- "Release Date Pushed Back for Hoobastank's "Fight or Flight"". ABC News Radio. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Hoobastank: Fight or Flight". Hasitleaked.com. 2012-08-05. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Hoobastank Plan 'Fight or Flight' on Their Own Terms". Alternative Addiction. 2012-05-08. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Hoobastank on Facebook". Hoobastank's Facebook page. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2012-07-19.
- "Release Date Pushed Back for Hoobastank's "Fight or Flight"". abcnewsradioonline.com. 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Hoobastank on Open E Entertainment". Open E Entertainment. Retrieved 2012-07-04.
- "Hoobastank on Universal Music Japan". Universal Music Japan]. Retrieved 2012-07-16.