Fighting Cock Society
The Fighting Cock Society (Persian: انجمن هنری خروس جنگی, romanized: Anjoman-e Honari-ye Khorus Jangi) was a 20th-century Iranian arts association, active in the 1950s, and devoted to the promotion of modern arts in the fields of painting, theatre, music, poetry, and literature. This was the first Surrealist society in Iran.
The group was established in 1949 by painters Jalil Ziapour, Mahmoud Javadipour, and Javad Hamidi; alongside Gholamhossein Gharib (painter), Hassan Shirvani (theater actor), and Morteza Hannaneh (musician). The society also published a magazine with the same title. The headquarters of the society was Ziapour's studio on Takht-e-Jamshid Street in Tehran.
The first meeting of the group was on 15 April 1949, to discuss the importance of the name, the symbolism, and how it aligned with their goals. The group meet weekly. He declared the society's purpose to be "a fight against the unrealistic traditionalism of the time" and chose a verse by Farrukhi Sistani as the motto of the society: "The story of Alexander is old and turned into a myth/ Bring a new word, for there is another sweetness to the new".
- Gholamhossein Gharib
- Javad Hamidi
- Morteza Hannaneh
- Mahmoud Javadipour
- Bahman Mohasses
- Hassan Shirvani
- Jalil Ziapour
- ^ a b Foroutan, Ayda (Spring 2016). "Why the Fighting Cock? The Significance of the Imagery of the Khorus Jangi and its Manifesto "The Slaughterer of the Nightingale"". Iran Namag, Vol. 1, No. 1. Retrieved 2022-12-16.
- ^ Daftari, Fereshteh; Diba, Layla S. (2013). Iran Modern. Asia Society. p. 67. ISBN 978-0-300-19736-5.
- ^ صد سال داستاننویسی ایران ص. ۱۹۲ - ۱۹۷
- ^ a b Medinei, Nojan (June 29, 2016). "Ziapour, Jalil". Encyclopædia Iranica.
- ^ a b c d e Dani, Ahmad Hasan; Adle, Chahryar; Palat, Madhavan K.; Tabyshalieva, Anara (1992). History of Civilizations of Central Asia. Unesco. p. 762. ISBN 978-92-3-103985-0.
- ^ a b c d Keshmirshekan, Hamid (2013). Contemporary Iranian Art. Saqi Books. ISBN 9780863567216.
- ^ صابر تهرانی، شهین. مجموعه سخنرانیهای هنری - تحقیقی زنده یاد استاد جلیل ضیاءپور. تهران: انتشارات اسلیمی، ۱۳۸۲.