Fiji women's national cricket team
|Association||Fiji Cricket Association|
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate (1965)|
|ICC region||ICC East Asia-Pacific|
|As of 13 August 2016|
The Fiji women's national cricket team is the team that represents the country of Fiji in international Women's cricket matches. Fiji has been an associate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) since 1965, although the team's history of the game in the country goes back to the late 19th century.
In April 2018, the ICC granted full Women's Twenty20 International (WT20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between Fiji women and another international side after 1 July 2018 will be a full WT20I.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2018)
Cricket was introduced to Fiji by European settlers in 1874, and the native population began taking up the game in 1878. The governor of Fiji at the time listed introducing cricket to the native Fijians as one of the achievements of his tenure in his memoirs.
Women Cricket in Fiji
Fiji's women Cricket team came into existence sometime in the middle of 2009. In January 2010, Cricket Fiji announced its first ever National Women’s Cricket team that will play a three match series against Samoa in Samoa in the first week of February.
In July 2019, Fiji Women's cricket team won a bronze medal in the Pacific Games. But this was not enough to earn them a spot in the International Cricket Council Women's World Twenty20 Qualifiers.
To know more about Fiji program's on women cricket, click here
- Fiji at Cricket Archive
- "Fijian Cricket History". Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "All T20I matches to get international status". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- "Fijian Cricket History(Fiji)". Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Fiji women's first cricket tour". Fox sports. 15 January 2010. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Fiji women's second cricket tour". Fox sports. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Fiji Women's cricket fails T20 place". Fiji Times. 19 July 2015. Retrieved 13 August 2016.